ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

84 Big Red Starting Problem and Spark plug eater

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Big Red Starting Problem and Spark plug eater

Hello there,
here is my problem, I have a 84 big red 200 and It just keep eating spark plugs. I have to change the spark plug like every day when I use the bike, and this is when I can start it. Sometimes It wont even start, and my spark plug gets black and wet (on the start, when running, it just become all black , I'm not sure if there's oil on it, but it's sure there is gas. Sometimes, the bike runs for like 10 minutes, and stop, and won't start again.
The spark plug wire is new, and the stator too, I cleaned the carb, and replace the needle (groove #3) and seat. I think this is the original jet of 90 or 95. I do use Ngk's 8 but the spark doesn't seems too powerfull when I checked it outside the engine. I also notice that there's oil in the pull starter assembly, I don't know if it's normal or not.
My bike started to do this after the motor heated because of an oil problem, do you think a valve overheating might be the problem?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english I'm from qu?bec.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

You've got more than one issue here.

First off here's an easy one. There should not be oil in the pull starter assembly. Sounds like a bad crankshaft seal.

As for the spark plug condition. Let's assume that your rings and valve seals are ok and that you have a carb problem. If the plug is getting sooted up it would be due to a rich condition. I'm not sure about the main jet # but I'm guessing that the # 3 position on the needle is correct. I'd also check the pilot jet and pilot screw. On a side note, if the air filter was extremely plugged up it could cause a rich condition as well.

Good luck and give us an update.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none

Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

i had the same prob with plugs on the same bike. I had new rings, cleaned valves, in short spent a small fortune. I wouldn't get an hour out of a new NGK, even with all the work done. A guy told me to try a champion plug, the equivalent to the NGK. It worked so well that I never changed the champion for the next 4 years. Worth a try for you too, if it don't work, then you still are only out the price of a plug. Let us know if it works.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Range Rover

yea you could be right, i had the same thing happen only opposite, my old polaris 400 2 stroke would eat up champion plugs left and right, throw a ngk in it and never had a problem, idk could be a possibility, personally i would rather use ngk but hondas are diff than polaris for sure.

good luck
adam

Old 03-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

If your running rich than you most likley need to tune the carb. Try moving the little throttle needle ring up a notch than tune the screws.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jowils
i had the same prob with plugs on the same bike. I had new rings, cleaned valves, in short spent a small fortune. I wouldn't get an hour out of a new NGK, even with all the work done. A guy told me to try a champion plug, the equivalent to the NGK. It worked so well that I never changed the champion for the next 4 years. Worth a try for you too, if it don't work, then you still are only out the price of a plug. Let us know if it works.
I have a 1984 200M and I have been dogged with a similar problem for more than 3 years. I have cleaned and readjusted the carb many times, but it still kills the plug after a few short trips (it will run all day without incident if I go on long trips) I never thought about trying a different brand of plug, but Im on my way to pick up a few Champions (RA6HC right??) to see if it works for me.
If it fixes my problem I will let everyone know.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your Help,
It's been a long time since I came to the forum because of computer problems,
I will try all of your suggestions and let you know
thanks