ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

83 Honda Swingarm reinstall help?!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 Honda Swingarm reinstall help?!???

Hello all. I have a 1983 Honda 250r. I purchased it off ebay in April. The guy told me it was an 84. I bought a used 84 great condition swingarm w/ new bearing carrier and new pivot collars and all that for 300 bucks. Well my shock linkage does not bolt onto that swingarm b/c the bracket on the swing arm is to close together. So I contacted the seller and he said I have an 83. My question is if I cannot find the correct shock linkage to switch the rear to an 84 then how can I swap the carrier and new pivot collars over to the swingarm that came w/ my atc?? It is quite the pain in the A$$ so far. I just got my new rebuilt motor back and I am excited to get it running before winter. I am on bikebandit.com and on the 84 where does the shock mount to the linkage?? HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP B/C I am not taking it to my local dealer. They are idiots and turned me away when I needed help getting my axle out of my swingarm!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi my name is George and i also have an 83' 250R. I cant help you with your problem because i am not as far into rebuilding mine as you are yours but i was wondering if you could help me i cant seam to figure out how to get the bolt holding the swingarm to the frame out and i was wondering if there is some sort of trick? Your help would be greatly appricated
Thankx

Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

Are you talking about the long bolt that also holds the brake pedal assemblly to?? If so you can tap on it until the bolt disappears pass the frame, then after that I just used a long philips screw driver. It was about 8 inches long. After the screwdriver ran out of length I just pulled on the bolt and it let loose. I had a friend there holding onto the swingarm so it didn't just slam onto the ground. I also had my frame resting on jackstands. Do you have your shock and linkage out yet?? I just loosened my linkage that was connected to the motor and pulled the swingarm and linkage all out as an assembly. Let me know if this helped!! Chris

Old 10-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

that is what i am talking about but it dosnt seam to want to slide out when i tap it. It dosnt seam to move much at all it moved about 1/8" total, and yes i do have the shock linkage removed

Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

WOW?? DID YOU TAKE THE NUT OFF!!!!!!! HA HA HA I had to say it!! Umm, if the trike is on stands maybe you can kinda torque the swingarm and that will breake something lose. Try using a 3/8 ratchet extension and smacking it pretty good!! Make sure there isn't anything hanging up also. I can't think of anything that would be preventing that from coming out besides years of rain, dirt, etc!! I would think you could hit it pretty good. Just don't damage the threads. Let me know how you make out.
cplank00@verizon.net