ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

New to me toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me toy

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to announce that I purchased my first 3 wheeler yesterday. It is a 1984 Honda ATC 200X in need of some TLC, but the price was cheap, and came with a spare motor.

Right now, I'm in the process of putting on new tires, and getting it rideable, which won't take much more than the tires, an oil change, some SeaFoam & fresh gas through the carb, and a new air cleaner.

The PO said that it hasn't been ridden in 4-6 yrs, so I'm hoping that once I get the fresh gas & seafoam treatment done, it'll quit smoking. If not, oh well, I can do a re-ring.......

This does lead to the question: Is Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit the best places to find parts for these old machines?

Other question: What tires does everybody like? In central texas, we've got a lot of mud, muck and some rocks with cactus in them, and I'm gunna run this thing through all of em.... [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Range Rover
Default New to me toy

Congrats. I had a 200x when I was in high school. They are a blast. I'm all for running SeaFoam, and use it in everything I own, but you might want to pull the carb off and check it, just so you know it is clean. Once it is clean blow it and the jets out with compressed air to make sure everything is clear. Clean and oil the air filter too.
DennisKirk yes, hyperparts.com, atvpartsdepot.com for plastics, rockymountainatv.com for tires. Bike Bandit is expensive for OEM stuff. I use hondaparts-direct.com.
As far as multi use tires for all around use I like the Duro Mud and Sand.
They have bars so they do good in the mud and snow, plus knobbies for all around riding and dont ride rough on hard trails. Do a slime treatment for those cactus thorns.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New to me toy

Thanks for the good advice, and those pages will be bookmarked shortly.

Any tips to make the little 200 motor scream a bit more without breaking the bank?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default New to me toy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scary132

Do a slime treatment for those cactus thorns.</end quote></div>

The slime will eat through your rims after a while. it is a band-aid fix only.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New to me toy

I know that it (slime) plays havoc on the steel wheels, but does it affect the aluminum ones the same way?

Is there something better for taking care of the little leaks you get running over cactus and such?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New to me toy

I have had slime in my tires for three years now have not had one leak nor any probs. with my rims. I originally used slime to seal the bead worked great

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New to me toy

I went ahead, and on the advice of an ATV junkie friend, bought a set of Kenda Bear Klaws for the rear tires, from Dennis Kirk. They had the best prices I could find. Tires should be here sometime with in the next few days, and they will be mounted and back on the trike for the weekend. Once it is back on all 3 wheels, I'll post some photos of my basket case.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default New to me toy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cowboy316911

I have had slime in my tires for three years now have not had one leak nor any probs. with my rims. I originally used slime to seal the bead worked great</end quote></div>

if you have steel wheels, you might want to take a look inside the rim... I have had slime in one of my rims for a few years and told the guy at the shop about it, he laughed and told me to bring it in. Once I brought it in he took the tire off and stabbed a ballpoint pen directly through the steel rim, not the stem hole, the rim. Slime eats steel.
not sure on alum.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Range Rover
Default New to me toy

I've never heard that. When I bought my new Douglas aluminum rims / tires from rockymountainatv, they mount the tires for you prior to shipping. They also offer a slime treatment for like $2 per tire.
I have a slow leak at the bead on my 350x and was thinking about using it. Will slime seal the bead too? or is it just for punctures?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New to me toy

I sealed the bead on my 3 wheeler some time ago and is still holding air.