ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start!

200 Big Red had a leaky carb, so I bought a new one. I took the excellent carb out of my 185. Then the Big Red ran like a champ all Winter in the snow. On my final ride it ran great. It has been stuck outside in the cold for two months. I have a flat tire somehow, but I went to start it up and a dead battery. Charged battery and got it to start for about a minute. Throttled it up, and it wasn't warm enough so it stalled. Then it would never start again. It has the push button ignition and choke, no choke it turns over and over until the battery dies. I thought I had discovered the problem when I noticed the cable from the spark plug was broken, or near broken. I woke up this morning, stole the good cable from the 185, and put it in. That was not it?! What is that cable called, so I can buy a new one for the 185? What is the little black box screwed down to the engine side of the cable, because on the 185 it is screwed into the 185, but is hanging free on my broken 200. What could cause a perfectly good trike to not start after it was running great the last time I used it.
1) Name of that cable?
2)What does that box do, and does it have to be bolted in
3) Any ideas on troubleshooting my problem?

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Won't start!

Check compression and if it has none i would consider getting new rings

Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Won't start!

From your plug the wire goes to the Coil. The coil is usually held onto the bike by 2 bolts. Will have the plug wire on one end and another wire with a male/female connector sometimes with an extra wire to ground to the back side of the coil against the frame. You also have to think about the CDI Unit. Which is a small black rectangular box (in random places) usually somewhere on that same side of the frame that plugs in. Did you pull the plug out and, connect it to the wire ground the plug to metal and bump it to check for spark? I have seen the magneto to gum up over a winter/outside. Let me know.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Won't start!

I heard about the cdi unit. What exactly should the spark look like? I mean, I checked it, and it is a pathetic little spark coming out the side, . I thought the spark was between the gap of the plug? No?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Won't start!

The spark should be coming between the gap....make sure your plug is laying on the motor (grounded) before you pull it over. Change your spark plug first. Go from the easiest and work your way back.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Won't start!

The spark plug is two months old. The CDI box is attached by screw and held down on my 185, but on the Big Red is hangs loose, perhaps a previous owner in the early 80's played with it? Let's talk more about spark for a minute. Mine is a wimpy little thing while I turn the engine over and ground it to the block. Can someone tell me what the CDI unit does? I heard from a friend that is is a quite common reason for problems. If I had CDI problems, or coil problems, wouldn't I have NO spark?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Won't start!

Well like i said earlier the first step is to go from the easiest to hardiest, go get the lawnmower and pull it over observe the spark, if you have determined your spark is poor then #1 change the spark plug ( do not skip the first step) change the spark plug. #2 Check the spark plug wire and cap for cracks and and black crap in the cap. #3 Make sure your on off switch is on the on position maybe this should be #1. #4 Faulty alternator #5 CDI unit #6 ignition coil #7 Pulse genrator rotor gap is incorrect. #8 Faulty Ignition switch. Of coarse you need full power getting to the cdi unit to begin with, poor battery, alternator or broken wires could cause a weak spark. Oh ya and did i forget to mention change your spark plug first and then try it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Won't start!

OK friends, here's what is new. I invited a friend over with pretty good knowledge of the 200E 1983 Big Red. We have cleaned the carb and it's good. We have good spark as determined by him. He went home and got his compression kit. Bad news, compression is 60. So, now we hit the road block as to what to do? Sure, I could give it to the local motorcycle guy, but he fixed the clutch and isn't cheap. I am one of those tell me what to do mechanics. I don't know that much, but I am pretty good with fixing stuff when I am told what to do. So, what is my first step to fix the compression?? Two things you need to know though. First, he noticed some weird "valve sounds", he said ,when we got gas at a service station in December.I remember he told me, but I blew him off at the time. Number two, is that the plug has about two hours of riding and it is really black,already?!

I hope this helps and I appreciate all the help from my American brothers, as I am a Canadian originally from Vancouver, but now in the oilfields of Alberta. P.S.- Thank God for the election, because I can't take another minute of George Bush( worse than Nixon)

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Won't start!

http://stores.ebay.com/G-H-Discount-Atv-Supply Maybe these guys can help. Engine top end rebuild kit

Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Won't start!

Thats what it sounds like.....usually with a top end problem it'll be a little hard to start most of the time and little compression (and sometimes smokes). Most kits you can find between 85-190...probably around $100 for that model. May not include the gasket kit which may run around 25-35. Also if there was valve noise. You may need to bore it out. Not sure on cost of that (knock on wood haven't had to get that done yet) OR The post from the previous guy doesn't seem like a bad idea. Just buy the whole damn thing.

Quick Reply: Won't start!