ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

ATC Honda 200S carb. problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC Honda 200S carb. problems...

Ok, I have an 85 200s 3-wheeler, I just got a new carburetor for it. It says it is pre-tuned(tweeked) but I have doubts.

I mean sometimes it idles just fine but then some other times it bogs down and dies after I stop riding. It is smoking real bad ( white smoke ) and the damn fuel/air mixture screw (not the idle) is f'n hard to turn. I don't understand how to get this damn thing to run descently, not perfect, i mean i realize it's an old piece of crap, but I just want it to stay running and not have to hold the gas down for 5 secs for it to kick in and go.

Any Help?

Thanks,

Justin Fox

Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I've turned the throttle up a bit and is seems to be doing fine except when taking off in 1st gear seems kinda of laggish, but once i get up into 2nd and 3rd etc... is seems to do ok, could it be that i just have weak compression? every now and then i get smoke, like if I forget its in 2nd and drive around like it should be in first. (white smoke).

I took my air box off, and it died, so i dont think its getting little air, but then again, taking the airbox off might be too much air.

I have the manuel, but the settings it suggests arent right on, but thats probably because the machine is 20 years old right? lol

say its running bad and flooding, and its not the carburetor, then what would or could be causing it to run sluggish?

Thanks for the replies,

Justin Fox

Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

Well, your issue seems to flip flop a bit. As far as the smoke goes, does it do it only when cold, in that case you may have done what my girlfriend did and stuck a ring (ran it HARD in the desert summer heat). if you take off the air box lid and it dies, then it sounds lean.

I will tell you with our 185s, immediately we didn't even try to get it running before we put a bassani pipe and UNI pod filter on it (desert riders don't need air boxes). Then we jetted it even a tad rich to help it keep cool, that and it sips VP from time to time.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

Nope, I live is southeast texas, not too cold round here lol. But It seems to be running ok, a sputter here and there, I just figure ill have to idle it a tad bit higher so it doesn't bog down, but then again yesterday when i was messing with it i found that i had turned it a whole 1 and 1/2 turns out, and then when i turned it back to start position (it was marked on purchase) then a bit in, it idled a little high but sounded good.

just low compression I hope [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Thanks,

Justin Fox

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

Again, that could be a ring, and by cold I mean below full opperating temprature. If it runs then run it I say.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry to sound dumb, but what do you mean by a ring?

Thanks,

Justin

Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

There are rings that go around the piston, and if the motor gets too hot the engine might not seize, but do what is called sticking a ring. It kind of spot welds itself to the side of the cylinder wall then breaks free. On my girlfriend's 185s her motor died on the trail, so we let it sit for about an hour and fired it right up, but it smoked. What happens is the place where the ring sticks to the cylinder breaks off, and lets oil into the combustion chamber and hence the smoke.

Lucky for people like you and me rings are cheap.

I just looked up the price from honda on a ring set for your motor and they are only $49. This may also be the source of your low compression suspision

By the way, I don't believe there is such a thing as a dumb question when it comes to this stuff. It's all a learning process and I wish that people on forums would remember that.

I would strongly urge you to get the Clymer manual for your trike, it's $21 and will tell you everything you will need to know and it even has tips on how to modify your trike.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a similar problem.. What kind of PSI reading should a four stroke bike have??? I have already rebuilt the carb.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

what the smoking your gf's was doing black or white? I've heard that white smoke is form too rich or too lean of mixture, while black smoke has to do with the oil thing.. could the sticky rings be causing white smoke?

Thanks for all the help man.

Justin Fox

Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Black smoke is unburned fuel (Rich)
Bluish/ white smoke is oil depending where it is coming from
Rings or valves
Rings will smoke all the time
Valves usually only when started and cold
On your carb
Yes get a manual
No the carb cannot come right out of the box ready to go it will need some adjusting
try adjusting your air fuel screw when engine up to running temp
adjust until engine gets max RPM then back down Idle
I would als read the plug this will tell you allot
If unsure how
Talk to some of the local people that ride
see if they can give you a hand
learn from them
This Guy
makes good points
But part of the fun of having these old bikes is making them run good
and yes we have to keep in mind they are now old
The engine may have been modified
Keep in minde what all these people are doing to new Quads
People were doing back when these were new
But most people have forgoten and think these are all stock
Sorry to be long winded
Bottom line
I would see what could be done making small adjustments
When I do this I keep a log of what I did and difference it makes
then when I am happy with final results
I log in my manuals
For example on my 82 Honda 185s
Carb is PD35S
102 main jet
Pilot srew(Air fuel) 1.5 turns
Needle jet first groove

Like This Guy stated
out in the desert we have to rejet
I still have air box but it has 6 vent holes for more air flow and I also have header with SuperTrap
Thanks
Ray

Quick Reply: ATC Honda 200S carb. problems...