ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

What did I miss

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I miss

After rebuilding the top end of my 84 200x and running it for a while I noticed a bit of oil between the head and the cylinder, not much mind you, but enough to make me think I missed something.

Head gasket, check ;-)
O-ring on cylinder (little green, goes on the post thing) check
Oil plug on head, Check

There is no apparent loss of compression or any strange whistling noises
Oil doesn't flow out, just about a drop at a time. Could it be excess oil on the cylinder/ piston/ head? I used oil sparingly on the piston and cylinder as per instructions, but then poured some in the valve adjusting caps as per instructions.

As I say, it's not pouring out just a little between the head and cylinder
Any thoughts?

Also, my wheeler has had crappy/ leaky exhaust for it's entire life and since I put the new DG exhaust I can actually hear the engine and it sounds a little "ticky" Not loud but enough to hear clearly, Normal, abnormal,

Any thoughts
Thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Range Rover
Default What did I miss

Way too make a guy feel good right as I start the same task. I'll let you know if I come accross something helpful.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What did I miss

check that it's not over filled with oil, wouldent worry too much over it and the ticking noise you prob will just have to adjust the tappets

Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default What did I miss

After riding the wheeler for a while today, I was washing it down and sprayed water between the head/ cylinder. Upon firing it up I noticed that every time I gave it a quick hit on the throttle I noticed a puff of steam coming from between the head/ cylinder (right where I sprayed to remove previously leaking oil).

So I tightened the head bolts a little more and...........it stopped spitting oil and now runs even better

I never did mind the little things ;-)

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default What did I miss

DUUUUDE, please tell me you torqued everything to factory specs after putting it back together, Right? and didn't forget anything such as the cylinder head bolts? If not then Its possible that you have a warped head, making the surface between the cylinder and head not completely flat. You're supposed to check theese things with a straight edge and a feeler gauge after tearing it down.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default What did I miss

Yeah, I put new rings in over 15 years ago, just rings thats it...............rode the **** out of it.....fast forward to last month.....started brapping through the head/ cylinder.......rebuilt top end with head kit from G&H, new exhaust, Rode it in the snow, found problem after washing, torqued back down...... Must have spaced it out somehow or they loosened up during the initial riding in the snow after rebuild, either way, no problem

Did I check the head? Hell no!
Am I worried about it? Hell no! I got a spare, in the unlikely event of warpage/ tweakage

The wheeler is just fine and will continue to be untill my son takes over when I am too old and creaky to ride it

-------------------------------