ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it works good for one of the absolute masters of knowledge on 250R engines IE: macdizzy.com, then 50:1 is good enough for me too. It's all in jetting for your ratio + riding style + state of tune.

If you get the opportunity to take apart an engine very often you may notice that the bottom end of a two stroke almost always has a substantial amount of oil laying in the cases. Even in engines that have been run at leaner oil to gas ratios (50:1 to 100:1) there is plenty of oil. The other internal parts of the engine also are well coated wet with oil. It doesn't matter if the motor is air cooled or liquid cooled - the internals of the engine are still coated. Much of this oil may accumulate at idle and during periods of low rpm running. Once you get the motor spinning faster and it is under load, that extra oil in the case may finally have a chance to become suspended again in the fuel and air mixture and perhaps be burned.

Many people will rev their engine to clear that oil (that plume of smoke they get at startup or after idle) and refer to it as "cleaning out" the engine. And that is exactly what is happening. That oil - which has become separated from the fuel has gathered in the cases and is standing by waiting for some serious turbulence to get it up the transfer ports and into the cylinder where it can finally be burned. Too much oil in the gas can lead to additional problems like carbon deposits on the piston crown and cylinder head, sticky rings, fouled plugs and wet drippy black gunk (unburned oil) coming out of the joints of the exhaust system.

It is probably best to avoid sustained periods of idle, or very low rpm running under no load. It is also probably better to choose a lower gear (for instance 3rd at 5000 rpm instead of 4th at 3800 rpm) and let the motor spin faster when driving at slower speeds since there in less likely a chance of the oil not finding its way to the combustion chamber. It is my opinion that if you use top quality oils (synthetics are the best) you are only throwing away money and making more smoke by running more oil through the engine than it needs. I have had good luck by always using the same oil to gas ratio and the same oil brand.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TrikeMaster
I went to Airfoolers.com to ask some questions and they were rude to me. It's just a web site. People act like it is a chilton or something.
TrikeMaster you done nothing but bash here i finally remember u at AF... all your posts were pretty much the same as they are here ..full of hate ... hell i even tried to help u here with identifying your swing arm on this sight but now the post is gone ??? too much info for u or did u say something stupid and the MODS got rid of it , or are you banned from yet another sight ?? ... my apologies to CRZYD247 and the MODS for jacking this post on something stupid .. i'm done here

Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Unless it's in someones quote, you won't be seeing any of his responses anymore.

Or any more posts from him.

If you see anyone like that again (I'm sure he'll try to resign under another name) just send a mod report and whoever it is will be dealt with.

Thanks for the others who actually posted a decent response for supporting the forums.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 20 to 1 lol

20 to 1 mix ratio was set in 1983 in the honda manual in just that 1983 mix oil in 1983 was very low quality so almost all 2 stoke bikes took that ratio back then .......
now in this day and age mix oil has come a long ways and 32;1 is reccomended for most all 2 strokes but i myself run about 28;1 bike seems to like it