ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

85 honda 70 atc don't run right

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 honda 70 atc don't run right

I have a 85 atc it will start and 5 years ago it ran fine now it will start but if i give it gas it will die also the carb has no petcock the with the 2 fuel lines 1 is capped the other goes to the carb i cant remember if that was the carb that came on it when i bought the bike or not. I put gas in the tank and the fuel leaks out the bottom fuel line of the carb constantly, first i thought the float was stuck but the thing starts right up. Any suggestions I was thinking new carb ? However it did run fine before so I didn't want to just play the replace game. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rareform
I have a 85 atc it will start and 5 years ago it ran fine now it will start but if i give it gas it will die also the carb has no petcock the with the 2 fuel lines 1 is capped the other goes to the carb i cant remember if that was the carb that came on it when i bought the bike or not. I put gas in the tank and the fuel leaks out the bottom fuel line of the carb constantly, first i thought the float was stuck but the thing starts right up. Any suggestions I was thinking new carb ? However it did run fine before so I didn't want to just play the replace game. Thanks in advance.
sounds like a couple of things are happening:
1. is it leaking out of the overflow or just the feed line(fuel to carb hose)?
replace the hose if it's weather rotted. also install an inline valve/petcock valve along with a fuel filter.

2. sounds like the float is sticking a little bit. i don't think you need a new carb.
3. remove carb and clean the jets. get all orifices clean.

4. clean the float assembly and check for proper operation while you got the carb pulled.

all parts and pieces can be purchased cheaply and will help you tremendously down the road. the valve is a must when hauling your machine, that way the float doesn't sit there and dump fuel into the crankcase, which by the way, you may need to check the oil level and make sure the consistency is not contaminated with gasoline.
have a great day........

Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks jaster94 I took your advice and cleaned the carb. Now it won't start lol If I spray a little carb cleaner it will fire only for a second however the bowl no longer leaks. I am going to take it apart again maybe I didn't put something back right.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is firing with the cleaner, it isn't getting fuel for whatever reason. I agree on double checking your work. Keep us posted.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your jets ought to look similiar to this one. the orifices need to be super clean (see daylight through them). as you can tell, it doesn't take much obstruction to plug them off. so yes, sometimes you have to clean more than once.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok the bike will run as it did before I touched it now a buddy found that the carbs top is straight and the throttle cable was being held by the rubber boot and there is a rip in the boot so now I need to find a carb top with a 90 degree bend and maybe a need cable. Does anybody know where that can be ordered.