ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

ATC 70 for 6-year old

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at purchasing the kids first motor vehicle. Found a good deal on a 1985 Honda ATC 70. Just wondering if these things were too tippy for an inexperienced 6-year old.
Thanks for any help

Old 06-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Range Rover

They're not very fast (which is good in this case), and the tire placement is very wide for it's size, so they're pretty tough to tip. Unless he's heavy and can use his body weight, or he likes to Bonzai! into corners, you'll be fine. It's a good learner. I started on a 82 185s (I was 14), and it teaches you alot about how to ride (more so In my mind than a 4 wheeler). Gonna get flack for that one.....

I think it's a great starter. Helmet, boots and gloves a necessity.

Old 06-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

My first toy was a ATC 70...man that was a blast. I guess I was 5 or 6 years old...I have had any problems with it as far as riding goes. I remember that I flipped it over backwards a couple of times trying to impress my friends with wheelies. Luckily it is tiny and didn't hurt too bad...you could fix that by welding a grab bar on the back, mine didn't have one.

Believe it or not those little things are pretty powerful for their size. I remember my Uncle who was about 240lbs got on it and drove it around my parents house...that was really funny. We clocked it with a car one day and it ran at about 30-35mph which is plenty fast for a little kid.

If I remember right it was a 4 speed...down went up through the gears, and up shifted down through the gears. That is a good trainer for the future...you'll be upgrading to something bigger in no time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

When I first got mine my father adjusted the throttle limiter so I couldn't even top out in first gear. It maybe went 4mph at the most. He had me ride it like that for a while then he adjusted it to let me go into second and so on and so on. After about 2 months or riding he got me using all the gears.

Sure one of the new mini quads are great, but they are pricey and I think most all of them are automatics. The automatic is nice, but the shifter is a good trainer for the little ones.

If you are getting a good deal on it I say go for it...as for the danger...well I'm sure since you are an avid rider yourself you know the importance of supervising your children. As long as the parents are responsible and teach the kids what to do and what NOT to do any ATV or ATC can be safe.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 06-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I too think you (he) will grow out of it soon too. I have a 7,9,11 year old(s) and the 9 and 11 ride a 250r, that was there first bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, "DuraBlue" makes a kit that extends the rear end out 5", makes it tip less. Not sure if they make it for your 70 or not, I can check though. I think they run about $85 +/- well worth it, I even did it to my 250r.

Good luck,

Ron