ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Help me get this sprocket hub off!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get the sprocket hub off this 1984 honda atc125m, we took the axle carrier and everything off the bike, but still we can't get the sprockt hub to come off the axle, isn't it supposed to come right off the axle splines with a little force? I can't get it to budge.Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-19-2002, 11:09 PM
The Facility

The sprocket hub is an integral part of the axle on that ATC. It is pressed on at the factory, but with a process making removal impossible without damaging it.

The axle is sold with the sprocket hub already installed.

Why are you are trying to remove it anyway??

To remove the axle, you remove the brake drum and pull the axle out from the sprocket side. If your wheel hub is welded onto the axle on the brake side, which I assume since it appears that you are doing this backwards, you will have to cut the axle into to remove it and locate a new axle.

If this isn't why you asking about the sprocket hub removal, let us know and maybe we can help you out.

Old 09-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

I'm trying to install a new axle bearing on the sprocket side of the axle, how do i do this without taking the sprocket hub off? do I take off the axle nuts on the other side and pull it out like that?please explain i'm confused on this.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:35 AM
The Facility

You have to remove the axle to replace the bearings. Also,..I would replace both bearings while you are in there. they are cheap and if you have one bad bearing, chances are that the other is about to go bad since greater stress was puton it when the other one went bad.

[1]Remove the entire wheel assembly from the brake side of the machine. This includes the wheel and the hub. just take the large nut off the axle and the whole thing will come right off.

[2]Remove the two nuts that are against the brake drum cover.

[3]Remove the brake drum cover and brake drum. The drum is slipped onto the axle but is sometimes hard to remove for the first time. if you are a novice mechanic, take this to a dealer for removal because the brake drum is easily broken. You can sometimes knock it loose by hitting the end of the axle on that side.

[4]Remove the chain cover and loosen the chain enough to lift it off of the rear sprocket. If you don't have enough slack, remove the chain by taking off the clip on the masterlink.

[5]Remove the axle. It slides out of the housing on the sprocket side. now you are ready to replace your bearings and seals.

Hope this helps. That's about the way to descibe the process here. If you still need some help, buy a repair manual or have someone who has experience help you out with it.