ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sugar Camp ride (MO)

I've been riding this area for awhile now. Recently took my grandson and we went camping overnight. Rode about 75 miles total over two days.

The area is south of Cassville, MO. It's just south of Roaring River State Park on Hwy 112. There are two parking areas by the road and some people park up near the fire tower. This area is lightly used. Due to my work schedule, I usually get out there on Fridays. Most of the time I never see anyone else. This time we saw a couple other riders but still very few. It was pretty warm this weekend. I usually prefer riding when it's cooler. I like riding when the temps are between 30-60*F. The views are pretty nice in the winter. While not green, with the leaves gone you can see farther.

This is in Barry County and in Barry County, you can get an ATV permit that allows you to ride on the various county roads. $10 and it doesn't expire. You are required to have a slow moving vehicle triangle as well as a flag so we have those mounted on the ATVs. It's not really enforced because you will see most other ATVs without them.

Entrance to the scenic drive on Hwy 112

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-7qugfqj.jpg

Scenic overlook along the road.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-kphu3wp.jpg

Another scenic overlook along the road.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-ixtpbsw.jpg

One of the trails. This is one of my favorite trails. It's only a few miles but it's fairly scenic and fun to ride. You can ride all the way into Arkansas on this trail.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-jqhmcgj.jpg

Heading down another trail.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-h6d6nze.jpg

Trail view.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-npdhfvc.jpg

This is a county road. It's called Butler Hollow and will take you to Arkansas Hwy 187.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-4zrtpoo.jpg

Traveling south on Butler Hollow

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-m2byjly.jpg

Break on the trail

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-dz0spfa.jpg

Neat abandoned barn type structure under a cliff. This might be private property but we didn't see any signs or purple paint

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-lsbrwqy.jpg

Campsite

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-dy2vnii.jpg

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-hbpfqaf.jpg

Corn and potatoes cooking in the fire in hobo packets

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-tzqlrbt.jpg

Thin ribeye steaks cooking in butter

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-6nvpy7a.jpg

Complete meal. Beer for me and coke for the grandson.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-sbyz4wo.jpg

Morning breakfast. We got up just before 0700. The stove is an older Peak One Apex. No longer made any more unfortunately.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-eyyvilw.jpg

Heating water for coffee and hot chocolate. Really like this little pot.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-gx9uxsz.jpg

Breakfast. Bacon, hashbrowns, and eggs in one.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-uippst2.jpg

Campsite torn down and ATVs packed up. Made the grandson help me pick up both our trash and other people's trash. Good opportunity to teach him the importance of not littering and in picking up any litter we find.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-tnolb3q.jpg

Early morning start

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-ujv15q7.jpg

We ran low on gas and I didn't bring extra this time so we had to end the ride around 1100. Great ride and got a chance to test out the loadout.

The following users liked this post:
Gonzee71 (03-21-2021)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:02 AM
THE BERMINATOR

Nice pics. It looks like a really good place to ride and bet your grandson had a blast. Good job teaching him about packing everything out that you packed in, plus a little extra. You eat a lot better on the trail than me and my friends did this past summer. We had Chef Boyardee, canned fruit, and snacks for 2 days and nights. We didn't have room for a stove or cookware after we loaded our tents, gas cans, coolers full of beverages and such. I've never been to Missouri but I have heard of Mark Twain National Forest. I do most of my riding in the Huron National Forest. I'd like to see more pics from a future ride.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks!

I'll try to post some more rides in the future. My wife and are planning to make a trip to Colorado and ride the Alpine Loop next year. We will do some more rides locally before then.

​​​

Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like a very nice place to ride, enjoyed the pics and story. Glad your grandson had a good time....great memories! Feel free to post more info and pics, enjoyed it very much...

Old 10-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a great place to ride. I wish it was a little closer to me. I have yet to actually go to Missouri and ride. St Joe's State park is about a 2 1/2 drive from me. I've thought about going there many times just have never went.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice pictures. Looks like you both had a great time.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Looks like a great place to ride. I wish it was a little closer to me. I have yet to actually go to Missouri and ride. St Joe's State park is about a 2 1/2 drive from me. I've thought about going there many times just have never went.
This area is down in the southwest side of the state. Not sure how far that is from you but it's probably 5 hrs from St Joseph basically due south.

I've never ridden by St Joseph even though I know some people who live up there.

​​​

Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to look it up, im about 340 miles from there, I'm in southern Illinois. I'm much closer to Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky, a place I have been to a couple times but its been about 10 years since the last time. Its a great place to go too if you've never been there.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

If you're into fishing and prefer camping in established campsites with bathrooms, just a short distance from the riding area is Roaring River State Park and fish hatchery. Neat place to camp. My wife and I camp there sometimes.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

I knew I had files of the trail locations. Just had to find and upload them.

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-hckjgzl.png

Sugar Camp ride (MO)-xwibkkp.png

Quick Reply: Sugar Camp ride (MO)