ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

1st Hare Scramble...90 long dusty minutes of...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Hare Scramble...90 long dusty minutes of...

my ridding buddy ( Dan ) & I raced our 1st Hare Scrambles this last Sunday...look for some pictures on my page on this forum soon...The race was in Fort Dodge Iowa, & was Sponsered by the Webster County Wheelers... the course was very dry & dusty, with a threat of rain in the clouds... I've done a lot of high speed speed trail riding but really no MX riding... the race started with a Lemans start ( sitting on the front bumper with the quad not running, at the sound of the horn, everyone in that class swings around, starts the quad & goes )... the first part of the course was a truck race track, wide, with high speed jumps...I got off to a good start about 4th off the line... I had thought to myself that I'd take it easy on the first lap to avoid the DNF's ( did not finish )... the 1st jam up I came to on the course, I was able to pass 8 - 10 quads & about 3/4 of the way around the course I thought I was lookin good... the 2nd jam up I cam to, I wasn't quite as lucky, it was a long ( about 75 feet ) steep ( about 45 + degrees ) some of the manual trans 2 X 4's must have started the hill in too high a gear, as they were jammed up about the top 1/3 of the hill, I came to a stop just behind a KFX 700 ( or 400 ), he pulled out beside the line to pass on the hill, I followed... I don't know if I should blame my lack of experience, or the reciently installed Hole Shot module, but I didn't really take into consideration how steep the hill was, & a crack of the throttle put me rolling end over end down the hill, with the quad landing fully on top of me ( a special thanks to the spotter, & the 2-3 racers that stopped & pulled the quad off the top of me )... after 4-5 minutes to make sure nothing seriously was damaged on my quad or myself ( pride was crushed though ), & with some help from the spotter to get the quad out of the loose stuff off the side of the hill, I was bound & determined to finish the race ( although most of my competitive nature was left in the dirt on "that" hill ) ... after winding through some more of the trail, we ended up on an MX section of the course, before returning to the truck race portion of the course... the taple top jump section went smoothly, & I was starting to shake off the mistake on the hill, when I came to the first double jump ( riding a little slower than normal is not the way to attack a double jump )... I must be pretty thick headed, as I had to scrape my knees off the handlebars 4-5 times on the double jumps, before I slowed down & just rolled over them , slowly & smoothly... it seemed like the race must be about over, & a red flag came out... a rider on a 700 or 400 came off a jump wrong & was on the course with the ambulance... during the break, we were dismayed to find out that the race was only 1/2 way over...I was exhausted & sore... the guy that crashed appearently broke some ribs... after about 15 minutes they restarted the race... since I was so far back from the competition, I was pulling over to let any of the other racers by... I found out later, that the spectators were really enjoying watching me biff the 2nd jump on the doubles...afterwards, I found out that Dan took 6th place & I didn't take last, there were 2 DNF's in the utility class Whoo !!! Hoo !!! all in all, I damaged my radio antenea, lost a handle bar end & damaged the other, lost one of my grips, & one of the straps from my chest protector... I've got a few scrapes & bruises, ( from becoming intimate with the underside of my quad ), & a lot of sore muscles... the 1/2 frozen hydration pack worked great & helped keep me going...I think being 43, I should probably enter the "vets" class next time...I've got a month to prepare for the next race... I'll have to talk the neighbor into teaching, & let me practice a little on thier MX track, before the next race... Have a good one, bump fenders with ya later...WAM

Old 06-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Thanks for the insight. 43,,,,,I thought I was too old to race[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have been pondering hare scrambles since I bought my 2000 400ex. I just havent been able to invest enough time training, to get serious about it. (I refuse to go out there cold, and get hurt/hurt someone else)

Maybe someday soon,,,got lots of riding coming down the pike.

Old 06-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

There will be another Hare Scramble race in Fort Dodge Iowa on Sunday, August 17th, it will be tied in with a Blues Festival on Saturday the 16th... I'll be there... If you're not making dust you're eating dust...Have A Good One ... WAM

Old 06-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh, I found your info on the race! Glad you had fun! I did hear about your spill on the hill, that is too bad! Good thing you are alright and that's awesome that you still finished! It must have been after that that I passed you, you were very nice in moving over! Now I know why [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The guy on the KFX400 that left in the ambulance had rolled like four times...yikes. I guess he took the jump too fast and was out of control. As unfortunate as that was, I needed that 15 minutes so I could finish the race. My thumb was so cramped I had to use my left hand to push the throttle so I could go up that hill. I was going to quit since that was dangerous, but after the break it was a little better.

I didn't want to attempt to be in another harescramble on the Rancher as I would have been in the utility class with those guys (1st, 2nd and 3rd place were the top three at the last one, too). The p650's are just too hard of competition for me. You may want to go with the vet class, but I don't think they separate sports and utilities? I wish they would have a women's class. I am not as big and bad as these guys! I said I should learn how to ride like a guy so I can race along with my husband and the other two, but my husband said that would mean I'd probably look like one, too, so it was a bad idea. I'll keep working on the women's class thing I guess. I kept up just great with my class until about 1/2 hour--45 minutes, when my thumb cramped and I was too worn out to keep up.

All-in-all it was good experience again. I was better this time than the last time, so you will probably get better with each race. I never know if I am going to race until it is time to line up and then I end up doing it, so even if I don't race, I'm sure I'll see you at the next one. I know my husband won't miss it. He's practicing for the 12-Hour Race as well.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! Probably see you in Waterloo.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Doubles on a UTE quad...wtf...is everyone crazy on these forums

Cool pics...where do you purchase the brass ***** that let you jump that thing ANY distance?

Old 06-26-2003, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Heh, guess you have to see it to believe it? Actually, most of them clear the doubles. On my photo page you can see the 40 foot table top they clear on the p650's. They do quite well.

Old 06-26-2003, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to ask but whats a hair scramble lol??? just wondering... Congrats on at least finishing i know i would've been out! O yea hey ATVGURL lol wow at your and ur ?husband's? air i cant go that high on my warrior LMAO well i dont have any real good jump i can hit either, how big was that jump that he hit looks like he a good 7-8 feet up in the air?

Travis

Old 06-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

ATVGURL...If I'd have known it was a girl passing me, I'd have never let you by...( just kidding )... I figured that I was totally out of the competition for my class, why should I slow anyone else down, I just wanted to make sure I finished...After something like rolling it down a hill, I was paranoid that something had to be bent or broken... I don't know if you checked out my pictures, but my wife has beaten every guy she comes up against in her class in the mud bog races... she had neck surgery a few years back, so a hair scramble race would be out of the question, for her, although she did T-bone a tree going about 30mph last year ( high speed trail riding ), & she actually beat me once in the truck mud races we used to do ( using my Jeep )... do you guys attend other hare scrambles, that I might not know about ???? Where in Iowa, do you actually live ??? Where is the ATV park in your pictures??? I'm always looking for new places to ride. I'm a member of ARMCA district 23, but they don't have any races close enough for us to attend during July, so it's time to switch back to the mud bog format & race a few of those in July...Introduce yourselves if you get the chance in Waterloo, I think my wife, ( Sally ) will be coming down with me, I've been to their park before ( last winter, when the Minnesota trails are all closed ), but didn't get to meet any of the people I've been corisponding with, at the time...Has your husband installed the KFX 700 reinforcing ring on the rear axel yet ??? this is cheap insurance ( less than $20.00 total parts ), to insure that the rear axel housing doesn't crack accross the top of the casting... I've heard of several that have destroyed the rear axel housing from jumping ( 40 foot table tops )etc...

RAPTORJAY... I discovered that I liked jumping, during extreme field testing of my rear rack / spare tire carrier... the added weight on the rear, balances the quad similar to a 2 X 4, & I used the excuse that I was field testing the rear rack set up to "beat" it the 1st year that I had the rack on...I did destroy the stock ( cast Aluminum ) rear rack supports ( fabricated new ones out of stainless square tube ), & had to reinforce the frame gusseting for the rack supports, but now I believe that my machine jumps better than I do ( as witnessed by the pictures )

TJW6981... A Hare Scramble is a woods type race, similar to a GNCC race, typically raced on a course that is anywhere from 3 - 10 miles long, most are somehow connected to a motocross type track for a section... you would typically race from 1 - 2 hours, as many laps as you can complete, in the time allowed... some times they are muddy, some times they are dusty, some times they are both... most races more than 1 class is racing on the course at a time, they typically stagger start each class, & each entrant goes through a check point each lap to verify laps / times etc.

Ther is a Mud Bog Race in Hayward, Minnesota ( just accross the Iowa border )( just a few miles from our farm ) ...I think the 2nd Saturday in July...I'm not involved with it, but I'll have all the info soon...

I just recieved an e-copy of the flyer for the Hayward, MN. Mud Bog Races...I believe they intend to set them up as, double elimination, side by side mud drags...The race is Saturday, July 12th... Registration is from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM... Races beguin at 1:00 PM...If anyone wants any info, let me know

Have A Good One...WAM

Old 06-27-2003, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

TJW6981,

If you're talking about pic # 4, that's a 40 foot long table top jump. He's still ascending in that picture and has a ways to go, he clears it. You could do it on your warrior if you tried it on that jump, I'm sure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

newbeetle,

We will introduce ourselves if we see you Saturday. It's a bummer but we have to leave at noon. We were over at Prairiewrench's setup when you went over to talk to him before the race. I will have to tell my husband about the 700 mod on the axle, thanks for the info! The way he jumps I think he will need that. I believe that is what happened to Prairiewrench's prairie?? He was lucky it was covered by the warranty! We don't have the extended one. We'll let you know of any other harescrambles we hear of, or events. The picture of the park is at Bluff Creek OHV Park down by Oskaloosa, IA. Go to www.iowaohv.com for more info on the park. There is a map and more information on size, etc. It's the best one in Iowa right now in my opinion. It has some awesome hills and three MX tracks, beginner, intermediate and advanced. You could get some good practice for the 12 hour and hare scrambles on the intermediate track. That's cool that your wife rocks at all the mud bog competitions! I have yet to beat a bunch of guys in the same class in a harescramble, but I hold my own at the other ATV competitions like the rodeos. I think it's the full 90 minutes thing that gets to me. It's a long time.

See you Saturday maybe.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

ATVGURL...How was that 700 Prairie of Prairiewrenches ????

Quick Reply: 1st Hare Scramble...90 long dusty minutes of...