ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

How was the District 23 Harescramble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2000, 10:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could have gone! I had to stick around because of Mother's Day!

Old 05-15-2000, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

You missed an awsome race! There where 34 quads in the Quadsport class, and maybe about 10 in the 4X4 class.

The MX portion of the track was really good, and the trails where nice and wide, and very twisty with some nice down and uphill sections.

Will you be making the other events coming up?

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Old 05-15-2000, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

I had a great time!!! I can't wait till the next HS......This was my first race ever.....And it was awesome......
There was 34 sport quads entered in the QuadSport class. Instead of 2 separate sport classes. All sport machines ran together with one huge dead engine start.
I took my parade(practice)lap and came back too the starting gate and lined up for the start. I was alittle nervous. Because too my right was a Banshee with T-5 pipes, and too his right was a DS650. And too my left was a Leager 250r, and too his left....a Four-Stroke tech 440EX. So I was in the middle of a high-performance sandwich.
The 2 minute sign went up, and I mounted my machine, and tried to concentrate on my race. And not the machines next too me.
10 sec sign went up. And my stomach went into a knot. I got into riding postion, and waited.
Flag dropped, and I started the engine and floored it.
Too my absolute surprise, I was in 4th place in the holeshot corner. Only 2 Banshee's and a 400EX beat me in the holeshot. Not bad for a little 300EX. Every 250r, and even the DS were behind me.(I have pics that I will post of the holeshot. Probaly the only ones you will ever see where a 300EX is in front of a DS during a Holeshot)
I hauled butt down the first part of the track, passing the 400EX in a jump and following the Banshee's. At this point, I was in 3rd position.
Then reality set in at the beginning of the first woods section. I was so pumped that I was running in 3rd, that I thought I was untouchable.
There was a long up-hill, with several corners leading into the first woods section. The DS behind me, out-powered me up the hills and was on my tail. In the first corner of the woods, the DS showed me(the rookie) who the boss was. We bumped wheels and I was sent into the woods, where I flipped my machine and tumbled off.
By the time I tipped my machine back up, and remounted. The entire field had passed by and I was in last place. But that was the least of my worries. My hand-grip on the right side of the handlebars was ripped off, and my front brake and throttle mounts were loose. Allowing my brake lever and thumb throttle to rotate freely around the handlebars. I did the best I could too fix everything with no tools. And was back on my way.

I ended up finishing 20th, out of 34. Which I didn't think was bad, considering what I had too work with. Minor damage too the machine. And no damage too the body. A win, win situation. I learned a great lesson in racing, and I hung with the big boys for the first part of the race. I can't wait till the next one. Where I can try too improve on what I have done this last time.

One word too those who have never raced a HS. Endurance. I was so tired by the end of the race, I could barely lift my arms up. The first lap is ***** too the walls, but then everyone puts on the cruise.

Anyway, I had a great time. And I hope that everyone else did too.

SaMsOn....I saw you there, but didn't get a chance to talk too you. Did you have a good time? Where did you place?

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

Old 05-15-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I also encourage everyone that owns an atv, too get out and race the HareScrambles. It's great PR for the quads and just plain fun.

Chris

Old 05-15-2000, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

You must have been pretty close to me because I finished in 19th place. I never had any get offs, but a few close ones though.

I had a pretty bad start because I wasn't quite ready for the go signal. I thought it was going to be a little while still So I ended up with a mid pack start.

In the little tight woods section, I had to wait for a Banshee in front of me to straighten himself out, before I could get by him, which cost me some time. But all in all I had a pretty good and very fun race.

One thing I have to do for next time is lower my gearing, and get more saddle time on the quad. Ohhh my poor legs.

One of the guys in our group who raced in the bike class, had his jaw broken when he wiped out and was hit by another guy. I think he had a concussion too Hopefully it wasn't to serious.

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Old 05-16-2000, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry too hear that someone in your group got hurt. No one wants too see that. I hope that everything turns out ok for him.

I also have too make some adjustments before the next race. My tires just wouldn't cut like I wanted, and the suspension needs some serious tuning.

I also was held up several times in the (rough) section of the woods, by someone blocking the path. It was actully a welcome break for my poor arms and shoulders.

All in all....It was a great time. Next Millville HS, I will come and meet you in person. I just didn't have time before this last race. After having too tape the HS number and score-card on the front. Go too the riders meeting, and gear up. I didn't know if I was going too make it in time.

Chris

Old 05-16-2000, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

My tires hooked up really well. I had Holeshot XCT's in the rear, and regular Holeshots in the front. Last year at Millville I had my stock tires, and they weren't half as good as what I have now.

I don't think I'll be able to make it to Leader for the next round, because I have a huge job coming up the following monday. Will you be going there?

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Old 05-17-2000, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

I am not going too make Round 2(Leader) either. But I will be at Round 3(Millville) for sure.

I was running Holeshot XC's on the front and rear, and still felt like the fronts were not turning like I had hoped. I am going to stiffen up the suspension in the front, and put alittle more air in the tires. Maybe then turning will become crisp and sharp.

Chris

ps. I'm going too get in a lot more ride time before the next race too.

Old 05-17-2000, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

When is the Millville HS? June 9th or something?
I also have to get in some more riding time, I have not been on my quad in a week! Things come up or it rains! I think this weekend I'll need to go to Tri County or Morton and get the bugs worked back out. I also need to work on a little tuning. Just got my K&N on, 14 tooth front sprocket. My DG pipe should be here Thursday and the jet kit is sitting at Mankato Honda!
(Tires and suspension are next!)

Old 05-17-2000, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

June 25th is the next Millville HareScramble.
I would recommend staying with the stock gearing for the HS. There are lots of hills that take a lot of torque too climb.

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

Quick Reply: How was the District 23 Harescramble?