ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

how to get started in mx racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get started in mx racing?

i am planning on racing mx next season and i am wondering how do i go about doing this? like what does my quad have to have on it in order to race, what are the rules and basicly how does it all work, i know that these are all dumb questions but i just want to know everything about racing mx.
thanks for any help.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Most tracks require that your quad has nerf bars and a kill switch. Here in Calif., the ITP Quadcross doesn't require any membership. Its pretty much show up, pay entry-fee, and race. Check with your local promoter and find out if membership is required. What I did was went to the last race of last season and watch different classes, found the one that fits me and my Rappy, find out if plate numbers are assigned or racers choice, ask racers what it takes to sign up, and when the new season started, just showed up and competed. Its not as hard to do as you might make it out to be. Good luck racing!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Oh..one more thing...make sure you race in the right class!! I am 36 years old and instead of signing up in the 30+ class, I signed up in the Open Class and got my azz handed to me by the younger guys...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

were I race the fastest guys are in the 30+ class, most also run the pro am. If I was you I would do open novice, if its to easy you can always move up. most places won't let you move down.

Old 07-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong, 666....30+ is fast, but many of the guys I race with, including me, seem more concerned with "how am I going to explain to my wife that I can't work because I broke my leg racing"...LMAO.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] As the Open class seemed to be racers starting at 16 and up that have that "Ballz to the Wallz" no-fear competitor in them. I wish I could have that attitude again..but my body doesn't heal as fast as it used to...LOL...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I wasen't saying you were wrong! its just up here the 30+ riders are fast really fast! and all there bikes are built because they have the money and experence. up here theres a lot of crf450s and quads with walsh chassis, scence this is walshs home track.

tbyrd- what do you have for a quad? any mods?

Old 07-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Do you know which tracks your going to race at? If you do I would go ride there when they have practice sesions or open ride days. Most tracks have a practice sesion 1 or 2 days a week, usally costs about 10 or 15 bucks to ride. If you start practicing at the tracks this summer you'll do awhole lot better next year. Start out slow and build your speed up...especially on the jumps. It all comes with practice. This will also help you get your quad dialed in and give you all winter to work on it and get it ready for next year. I would also ride as much as possible when ever you have any spare time..alot of people don't realize how phyisical quad racing is, it takes alot of upper body strength and gives your legs a good workout to. So if your serious about racing you might want to skip that double 1/4 pounder from Mickey D's too.

One other thing get some good gear...helmet, goggles,chest protector,etc...etc..and a really good set of boots. I wear Alpinestar Tech 8s, I would rather fork out the money now for good gear cause it will be a whole lot cheaper than E-Room Bills!

Remember Practice Practice and Practice some more.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for all in info. my quad is a stock 400EX (for now). i plan on racing daniel boone in kentucky because it is the closes track to my home. i have not done no mods to my EX because i don't really know how to set it up for mx, so i have just been saving some money till when i find out what to do first. any suggestions. oh yeah i am 20 yrs old, what classes are there that i can race in, i have to races at daniel boone but i could never figure out how the classes worked and stuff like that.
thanks again for all the info.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the order I would set my quad up.
nerfbars
kill switch
mx tires and atleast rear race wheels with reinforcement rings.
handlebars
wider axel
a-arms and shocks
last would be motor hop ups (you will be suprised how fast the stock EX will go around an MX track with a good stable suspention)

Like it has been said get in the best shape possable.I am 28 and usually racing every weekend.The day after the race I am whiped.I remember when I 1st started I would be sore for about the whole next week. lol

RIDE YOUR OWN RACE.Forget about everybody else.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

always have fun. and if your thinking of pushing it to win just rember you not geting payed for it, and you have to sit out the rest of the season