ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Solution to hand shock? Updated with new pic

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to hand shock?

Found these bad boys last night at the local stealership when I went to buy new handlebars. My elbows hurt after racing last weekend and thought aluminum bars might flex a little more than my cheap steel bars. If you have to ask how much these new bars cost, you probably can't afford them. With the soft bushings (soft, medium, hard bushings included) and no preload on the bushing, I can flex them about an inch with just body weight. They are built like a Bombardier and should take some abuse. One of the mechanics races them on his CRF450 and says they don't bend but he recommended safety wire where a single loose bolt could cause problems. He said his never came apart but he uses safety wire on all critical fastners. Just felt them flex a little as I settled onto his bike and knew my search had ended. If your elbows hurt after riding/racing, you might want to save your pennies. I'll be testing them this weekend at a PA poker run.

Update:
Got a lot of good advice and made some upgrades to the Flexx bars. I didn't go to the Poker Run, 3.5 hours drive one-way to ride in the rain just didn't sound exciting at 4:30am:-) I'll try to get to a track this week but if not, I'll be testing them at the VA Sports Park arena-cross race next Saturday. Here is the updated pic with Grade 8 hardware, safety wire, and a better cross bar pad.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/Ga...7447/Bars2.jpg

Old 09-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

i think those are in the newest dirtwheels

Old 09-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

repeated wanking...will help cure arm-pump etc[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Or you could buy a set of new bars...as for me I'm gonna go work on my conditioning[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Solution to hand shock? Updated with new pic

Ran the new Flexx bars at the VA Sports Park arena cross race last Saturday and was very impressed. Pretty amazing how much hand shock they absorb. I wasn't going very fast the first few practice laps so the whoops were extra rough but my hands stayed firmly planted on the ends of the bars. Everything stayed tight and straight even though I flat landed the table top pretty hard a few times:-)

I'm switching to the medium bushing for Budds Creek on the 11th, the soft bushing was perfect for a level MX track but I don't think it's stiff enough for the severe downhill braking bumps at Budds Creek.