ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

mx racing dos and don'ts

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mx racing dos and don'ts

i own a blaster that has a k&n, wheel spacers, lowered suspension, and a few other small mods. i would like to try mx racing next year and i was wondering if nebody could give me a few tips (turns, jumps, etc.). I would also like to know what else i should do to my quad to make it a little more mx ready. im thinking about adding a graydon proline exhaust system and mayb some v-force reeds. i want to put a 240 big bore kit in it but my friends say that they are only good for drag racing and they have no mid range. is this true? i was thinkin about getting a vitos big bore kit but now im not so sure. also, is an extended swingarm something i need for mx racing? if there is nething else u can tell me about racing or mods for my fourwheeler, ect., please tell me i would greatly appreciate it. if your giving me advice on mods for my wheeler, please dont tell me what u think, tell me what u know. and please remember i have a very limited budget too. thanx lots.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Forget the motor work, you need suspension!
Save up for shocks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For advice, don't crash!! But seriously...if you have the money, the first thing you should always do to a race quad is fix any handling quirks!! Make it feel good, comfortable, and have it set up to take the terrain. If you need shocks, a-arms, swing arm, axle, whatever, do all that first. Then if you are beginning, go to your first race and just have fun...se what other guys are running. Then when you feel the quad handles excellent through the turns and jumps, then worry about the power!! Once you have the handling of the quad down and feel comfortable...all the rest falls in place. If your quad is fast and handles like crap, you will just fly over the berm a whole lot faster!!

Old 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Most places require nerf bars and a tethered kill switch. Wherever you are going to race, find out what they require to be on your quad. Then just have fun. On your first race, hesitate at the start and let the fast guys get ahead of you. Then race with the guys that are left. A lot of times the fast guys take eachother out anyway.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

all of the above ^ and good insurance helps

Old 12-12-2003, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

hey im also gonna be starting racing this summer (june) i was going to do it on a blaste rbut sold it and now i have a kfx...ordering the a-arms next week... and the shocks prolly around a month after that (2 paychecks lol) and then ill get the axle and wheels... what do you guys think about aftermarket steering stems? do they help much? on my blaster i had the fmf pipes pc2 silencer and fatty pipe... night and day diff beatween that and a stock one. my friend had a stock one and ...wow... he never could even get close to me...and all i had was a pipe and rejet...

Old 12-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

aftermarket stems look better, and they are stronger, thats it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Some aftermarket stems are taller if that helps you out go for it i would spend money elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Tether,Nerfs, SHOCKS,SHOCKS< ohhhhhh...... Did I mention shocks:??????/lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Steering Dampener good pipe, Good set of Tires and be careful jumping wiht spacers....If you can find a used set of A-Arms for a liitle more width...SNAG them up!Remember to breath to avoid Arm pump more, Drink LOTS Of Water to keep hydrated before a race or practice, and ..... most inportant........HAVE FUN!!!!! Tina .........

Old 12-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

Oh yeah don't crash, it hurts sometimes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: mx racing dos and don'ts