ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

How to get started! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get started! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey,
I am new to sport ATV's. I have been around them for awile, but I have not liked them as much as I do now. And I want to get a hobby. I just droped out of sports, and I want to pick up something new. Like Atv racing?

Were can I get info on it?

were are my local tracks?

if I buy a yfx450 or trx450r is that a good race bike?

Could the pros make a living off this?

Do you make money? or the little guys don't?

Do you win a trophy or somehting if you win?

Would a 450 be to much power for me to ride as a FIRST sport quad?

Whats ama? Whats there website?

I REALLY want to get started in it!!!! IF YOU LIVE IN ALABAMA, MAYBE WE COULD GET TOGETHER AND I COULD WATCH YOU RACE. IF YOU LIVE IN MISSISSIPPI, OR TENN, OR ATLANTA OR SOMEWERE IN THAT STATE, OR EVEN IN FLORDA, PLEASE TELL ME! I AM ABOUT TO GO TO TAMPA AND WOULD LOVE TO GO WATCH A RACE! AND TEH BEST THING IS, I WOULD HAVE 2 OTHER GUYS AS WELL AS THERE DAD WITH US, IF YOU DO, PLEASE!!! TELL ME!!!!

If you do not want to post here, then e-mail me at: claytonmrice@yahoo.com

And this may look to you think that I am a stupid idiot, but I am not, I just am sooo exited and want to get started soooooon. But I have to have money, so I have to go work on my business, but I need some info!!!! PLEASE!!! But if you could give my any infomation PLEASE, I need it BAD!

My dad just said that I need to get a hobby, and I think I found one, but I need info on it.

I know this is alot of questions, but I would REALLY thank you if you could answer them all.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

YOU HAVE TO BE 16!!!!!???? MAN!!!

I could only ride a dang 90cc quad?

Old 02-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Spend twenty dollars and pick up all the latest issues of Dirtwheels, ATVSport, ATVAction, and even a RacerX. You will find all your answers within. As far as your local tracks, search for your racing association in your state and district. Go online and check for Alabama motocross tracks. There are a few pro's who make money off of it, but until this last year, Tim Farr was the only atv racer to make a living at it. Kory Ellis picks up some cash, but nothing like the pro motorcycles do.

Some tracks give trophies, others plaques. Don't expect to make any money unless you ride the money quad/cash races. Even then it's only like a couple hundred bucks.

Try ATVscene.com, they have good articles. Also, try HI-Torque publishing's website. And any link off of this site for info.

Old 02-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

Search the ATVA Online to find local races.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

HEY THANKS! I get Dirt Wheels though snail mail, but I will pick up that latest magazines when I go to the book store next time. And thanks for those links, those are great. My browser is not working properly and will not let my go to http://www.ama-cycle.org , but my dad said he could fix that. And I tryed to go to atva's website, and I did a search and it only tool me to ama...but when my dad gets back from work, I will ask him. Thanks again for the great infomation. I am going to go search for some sites now, after I get done reading those links.

Thanks,
Freak

Old 02-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

hey Hondaatvfreak i live in alabama and i am just about in the same boat you are. i am 14years old and i just bought me a 300ex and i am going to race as soon as i get good enough, i dont know where Odenville is but i live in Mobile and the track i am going to go to is in Irvington about a 40 min. drive from my house.

Would a 450 be to much power for me to ride as a FIRST sport quad?

in my opinion YES the 450r and yfz450 are high perfomance quads, "not for beginers". if i were you i would ge a 300ex are a 400ex to learn on and then after you learn then maybe move up to a 450.

if you do live close to me maybe we can get together and practice.

atvguy

P.S. if you have anymore questions you can email me at atvguy217@msn.com

Old 02-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, and I will shoot you a e-mail.

But I do not live in that area. I live a little above birmingham. But one good thing is we go down there about 2-3 times a year. And my dad goes down there more than that. But if they have a site could you give it to me? Thanks again.

And I have looked at the three EX's and I think that I want to get a 400ex. There is pleanty of parts out there for those, so I think I want to get one of those. But I would have to get a used one, I THINK! I am not sure though. But when I have time, I will e-mail you. Ok? Ok.

Thanks,
Freak

Old 02-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

But I do not live in that area. I live a little above birmingham

ohh thats to bad. the 400ex is a great choice but in my opinion you should not get that i mean some people say "hey its only a 400" but that 400 can be alot of power for a begginer i have a 300ex and its perfect for me (to learn on anyway) and then once i get better i will move up to a 400 r 450, but until you get good u should not try to be the fastes just try not to kill yourself. and if your like me if you got a 400 you will probaly hurt your self. i mean you would try things that you arent ready for skill wise. i am not trying to put you down i just dont want you to make the wrong choice and get hurt.

atvguy

Old 02-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Hey Honda Freak there is an arena cross race in Oneonta next month it would be a good place to start racing I will be there and so will my brother he races pro-am and I race amature A. There should be enough classes that even a newbie would have chance at pulling a trophy. Let me know if you are interested, and I will get you more info.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What do you guys do to keep in shape?? What are your programs?? I can't find weight programs or running programs to stay in shape anywhere. Needing a little help if anyone can give some advice. Thanks Brad

Quick Reply: How to get started! PLEASE HELP!!!