ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Ice racing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice racing questions

Back to the original question. I run my quad in the ice races. I run 20" cheng shin on the rear and stock tires on the front of my raptor. The majority of the quads that run in the studded classes in Sturbridge MA run cheng shin tires. The second most popular tire I have seen is the Holeshot MX tires. I am not positive on the most popular size of the tires though. Take your gearing on the quad into your equation when selecting a tire size. If you are geared for top end than you may want to pick a tire that will off set the top end a little so you can really pull out of the corners. Hope this helps. Have fun racing!!

Old 02-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

thank you all for your input

Old 02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Stay away from Holeshots. The rubber is too soft and the studs pull out easy. Also, get studs with the corsest threads you can find. Some people use sheet metal screws but the threads are too fine and they pull out easy. Denis Kirk has some good ice studs.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

In the previous years I used pro-gold studs but this year when I needed to buy more my vender was out of pro-gold so I decided to try Kold Kutters. I am very disappointed with the Kold Kutters. They have a fine threads and like stated above they do pull out very easily. Next time I have to purchase I will defiantly go back to the pro-golds. Don’t waste you time or money. Get the pro-golds from the start.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree. Kold Kutters will come out, but only if you dont put them in right or have too short of a screw. They need to be seated well into the tire, just enough so you can see that the screw has compressed the rubber. The tire should be inflated to about 15-20 psi when you put the studs in. Once they are all in, deflate the tire to desired pressure. I did it the wrong way on one set of tires, and many came out. I had some other tires and I set them correctly and after 4 weeks of practice and races every weekend, not 1 stud has fallen out. Length of stud is important too. I run 1/2 inch in cheng shin c826 tires.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, If you run an 18 inch tire on a raptor, it will throw the studs no matter what ones you have. Only a severe gearing change can overcome that.

Come to think of it, I believe the gold studs were actually prohibited for a few years by the AMA. I cant remember if they are allowed now, but I think they are.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

I would reccomend using turf tamers and on each **** put about 2 or 3 studs in that biotch and that thing will fly. I use holeshots but i was gonna switch to tamers until i freaking got hurt!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blaster2002004
I would reccomend using turf tamers and on each **** put about 2 or 3 studs in that biotch and that thing will fly. I use holeshots but i was gonna switch to tamers until i freaking got hurt!!!!!!
thats what ALOT of the Racers here use is Turf Tamers

Old 02-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with the front holeshots being a bit soft...I've got to milk mine for one more weekend! Despite being soft, they're a good pattern for front tires! Chengs for the back, for sure! We pyramid them for flex and cleaning. This weekend is the BIG throwdown in my area. BIG BIG BIG races in Superior, WI!

Old 02-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey did you hear of Escanaba in upper michigan. the races there are pretty big there was prly more than a thousand people there. but only like 50 racers. lots of 250Rs!

Quick Reply: Ice racing questions