ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Flat Track Set Up KFX 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Track Set Up KFX 400

I don't like the hoosier's in corners. Straightline traction seems better with them though. The hoosiers don't seem to leak down as badly also. But in general, the Americans are my tire of choice.

Old 03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

As for rims, don't blow money on beadlocks. You won't get the pressure low enough to roll them off the rim anyway. Reinforced race wheels are also not really needed for larger tracks (If you bump at 65+MPH, bending a wheel will be the least of your concern[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]). I run .190 wheels by ITP.

When it does come time for shocks, remember nothing beats AFCO. There is a reason why almost all dirt track cars run them and AFCO brings the info they learn from the cars into their ATV shocks. They aren't just modified MX shocks.

Buttermilk, did you run at the Tulsa Shootout this year? I missed it unfortunetly.

Old 03-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Alky,

I don't do the racing. My son does. I'm nearly 40 and ain't got what it takes to hang with these young whippersnappers on a flattrack.

I've been trying to talk my son into running the shootout, but haven't been successful in doing so yet. He's only been racing for two years now, and doesn't feel like he's ready for the intense bumping that we've seen at the Shootout. Perhaps next year. So far, we've only ran local tracks around Tulsa (when they've had races....), and have ran the Yahoo Indoor Arena Series at Kellyville/Claremore.

Hoosiers do hold air better than American Racers. In fact, I rarely have to add any air to the Hoosiers between races. I always have to add air on the American racers.

If the track is a high traction track, I've noticed that the American Racer seems to slide a bit easier in the corners. However, the Hoosier seems to works better coming out of the corner for us. But, as I said, we have both brands and run each.

Alky, do you know what the valving and the spring rate is on your AFCO shocks?

HIGS:
We run the Douglas blue label wheels to save weight, but have also ran the 0.190's as well. The blue labels don't take near as much abuse (we've had to straighten one and have it welded...), but they will be what gives instead of a hub, spindle or an axle bending/breaking.

Regards,
buttermilk

Old 03-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Have no clue on the front shocs but the rear s 350lb and adjustable rebound and comp. Running direct to swingarm.