ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

jumping

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-1999, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been riding for about eight years now and i guess im ready to get into jumping. not small jumps. i already jump a little but i want to start taking large jumps. at my friends house he has a jump that gets you about 25 feet off the ground. i have thought about taking that jump many many times but im afraid of doin an endo off it and killing myself. i need some tips on where to place my weight how i get myself out of trouble in the air and so on.

tony
'97 banshee

Old 08-18-1999, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony, altho I have a fair amount of time on quads and bikes, can you say 22yrs?, I'll make no claims as a jumping expert,but since no one has replied to your post, I might give you a few tips that I have learned; if you already know them, oh well.
First of all, you didn't say whether this jump is to flat ground or does it have a back side? If there is no back side & you're going to land flat, I wouldn't even consider it unless you have some serious suspension mods already done. Jumping from a 2 story bldg would do some weird things to your body, not to mention your ride. If it does in fact have a back side then you'd want to position your weight more or less neutral initially, observing the attitude of the bike; nose too high, tap the rear brake to bring it down, nose too low, gas it slightly to raise it, keeping in mind that if there is a backside slope you want to land with the front wheels slightly before the rears. Of course if you find youself pitching to right or left you must lean big time to the opposite side if your are pitched seriously off center, making sure that if you MUST land other than in a normal attitude your front wheels must be turned to the opposite angle of the machine, in other words just the opposite thing you'd do in a slide. Hopefully this would prevent you from rolling on landing.If you'd be out of shape on a 25' drop off, well I won't even go there
These are just basic things, I know, but even if you know them already it never hurts to hear them again, and pump up your tires too!

Cal, the Az hardpacker

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 08-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 09-08-1999).]

Old 08-20-1999, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well if u get outta shape I would bail and hope to high heaven you and your bike land safe.

Old 09-08-1999, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

You should try some smaller jumps and build up your confidence so you know you can clear it. It usually works for me.