Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starter problems? I think!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problems? I think!

okay well i know it has been a long time since i posted anything, but this morning i went to go start up my atv and it wouldn't start so i thought that it was the battery. so i went inside and grabbed my heavy duty charger, put it on the 50 amp emergency start option and went to try and start it which i have done numerous times, and then all of a sudden i started to smell something burning. so i then turned the key off unplugged everything and after some investigating i found the little rubber boot actually started to burn you know the little red boot that goes up and over the starter post where you connect the + lead wire coming from the solenoid. so i then thought to myself no big deal i will just grab this brand new starter that i have had since about Jan. and put it on. so i connected the new starter but before i put it back in i said to myself let me go ahead and try it just to make sure before i go putting everything back together. And wouldnt u know it this brand new starter did not work.so then i checked to see if i had 12 volts at the battery which i did i actually had 12.92. so then i went ahead and tried jumping the posts on the solenoid which that had no effect either. so then i even went as far as connecting the lead + wire from the battery directly to the other post on the solenoid and still no dice.so i then took my manual out to check and see if i as getting 12 volts up at the terminal board which i was at the red/white wire. so then i checked to see if i had 12 volts at the white/red wire which at first i didnt until i realized that i had to have the start button pushed, in order to get the 12 volts which i also had and then i checked to see if i had 12 volts on the little wire coming from the solenoid which i also had, also checked the ground which was fine. now heres the thing that i dont understand and maybe you guys can help me understand now when i push the start button, shouldnt i get 12 volts on the other solenoid post because i dont get anything when i push the start button. i just want to make sure i buy the right thing. because i find it really hard to believe that this starter is bad even though it might very well be bad because i even tried bench testing and it did nothing. so any help will be great.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

Old 09-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

the other post should have 12v when start is pushed....if u put 12v the the starter on the bench, assuming it was grounded, it should have spun

Old 09-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ArmBandit
the other post should have 12v when start is pushed....if u put 12v the the starter on the bench, assuming it was grounded, it should have spun
If you have power to the small solenoid wire when the start button is pushed but it's not transferring power to the battery side terminal then sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. On the starter that's been sitting up since January tap on it as it may just have a little moisture or rust on the brushes or armature. With neg jumper lead to the starter body and hot lead to the starter post the starter should almost jump out of your hand from the torque.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you have power to the small solenoid wire when the start button is pushed but it's not transferring power to the battery side terminal then sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. On the starter that's been sitting up since January tap on it as it may just have a little moisture or rust on the brushes or armature. With neg jumper lead to the starter body and hot lead to the starter post the starter should almost jump out of your hand from the torque.
okay thanks for the info i will do some more investigating tomorrow.but the thing is i tried jumping the solenoid and nothing happened i even tried putting the cable from the battery side on the post with the starter cable and it didnt do anything but i will try as you suggested tomorrow.
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 09-23-2015, 01:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Another thing to check is that the starter bendix is ok and engaging the flywheel teeth properly.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Range Rover

yeah no there isnt anything the matter with the Bendix its all at the starter.
THANKS THOUGH
RUBEN

Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then just for the heck of it loosen the starter wire nut and move the cable back and forth then tighten the nut back down. Even a little bit of corrosion on the cable or starter can keep power from the starter even if you jump straight from the battery. If that doesn't help then possibly you do have a bum new starter from the get go.Plus don't over look the ground wires,especially the main ground on the engine.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

okay this morning i went outside to check it the way u told me to and nothing, so i then proceeded to check the starter on my little tractor the way u guys told me to and nothing either. so i then figured out that it must be my heavy duty charger not letting me do this. so i then got my little charger out and VOILA my starter spun so that was a great feeling. so then hooked back up to the + lead cable and went to check it with the key and start button and i got the little click click from the solenoid. i then told myself whatever i know the starter is good let me hook it all up and i will worry about the solenoid later on, well got it all hooked up so i then went to check the solenoid ,but i first told myself let me try it out and see if it works and ill be damned if the son of a gun didnt fire right up. and i dont know if u guys remember or not from earlier this year when i had those stator problems or at least what i thought were stator problems, but it is all gone now when i hit thee start button the rpms read about 500-600 a lot better than the average of 150-350 and the 350 was on a good day. now im not sure if it was because i didnt have the actual starter in the slot where it goes mounted and therefore it wasnt grounded and thats why it wasnt doing anything when i would push the start button, nonetheless i am happy as can be,
THANKS
RUBEN