ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Polaris MXer

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2000, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well gee so what If you want to be technical Polaris was making snowmobiles back in the 60's I think that predates any honda. but I really don't care about who was first. I just want some help in making my Polaris race worthy for the MX tracks. If you have some good info please help me out. Thanks for the usless info. on this post

Old 07-27-2000, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

Well for starters you will need some good front and rear tires. If you can afford it get some rikens and some 18 in Turf Tamers on the rear. Then you will need a pipe and clutch kit at least or you will get blown off the start. Try not to get too much air with stock shocks and a frame just be smooth and stay wide open the entire time you are on the ground. Eventually you really need a MAJOR workover if you want to complete with the Laeger 250R's. Rath Racing makes super fast Polarises and Daryl Rath even competed on one in the Open Pro class to some decent finishes a few years back. If he can with at the Nationals you can certainly win at the local level on one. I don't know the # for Rath Racing (HPD) but it is on the internet. Personally I think your Polaris would do very well in TT racing with a super engine. You might want to try that too. I guarantee you will be able to keep up with 300EX's on a flattrack.

CT250R

Old 07-28-2000, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

What are you doing worrying about racing the polaris if you have a 350RX? I wants some details about your machine

Old 07-28-2000, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

I keep trying to get my freind to race his t blazer in mx but his parents(the owner of the qaud)won't let him.Any way even though I don't own a polaris I have saw many hop up companies in dirtwheels and other mags.Ohlin's makes better front struts and a better rear shock.There is a extender kit that widens the the front end 2 inches.RCR makes a pipe and clutch kit,some alos suggested turf tamers and rikens but I have riden on grooved turf tamer and found I prefer my holeshot mx's.U can't get riken's no more.U can howevwer get marshall's.I have heard the marshall's a bit better than the rikens.Durablue has extended axles.It is really how much money U want to spend.U could alos have the head decked and ported.And maybe a 440 kit or just a wiseco piston.

86 trx250r wiseco .02 piston,boyesen reeds,FMF gold series fatty pipe,power core 2 silencer,DG nerfs,JD performance +2 A-arms,white bro's white power shocks with adjustable res's all the way around,Durablue eliminator axle,durablue posi loc axle nut,fastline braided steel brake lines,Braking brake pads,motion pro twist throttle,motion pro clutch cable,PEP easy pull clutch perch and lever,uni filter18/11/8 holeshot mx's on mitchell .190 wheels,21/7/10 holeshots on ITP wide off-set .190 wheels,20/11/9 6 ply razr's on ITP .190 wheels.

Old 07-28-2000, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Is HPD a good company? Do you know if they build good engines that last? Thanks for the Information.

Old 07-28-2000, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

The reason for racing the Polaris is because my 350RX is setup for desert racing and I was wanting a two stroke to be more competative with the 250R's and Banshees on the tight confines of the MX tracks. I also wanted to have my machine be setup specifically for MX with the wider arms, axe, tires, and motorwork.

Old 07-28-2000, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

This is not ment to be a bash..so please don't take it wrong. But I have a question. It's going to take a lot of cash in order to make the 400 competitive in MX, and after it is all spent the quad still won't be as competitive as a full Laeger 250R. Why not sell the 400 and buy a 250R...then work from there? You will probably save some money while having a better MX machine at the end.

Old 07-29-2000, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Good call.... I have a couple of friends that used to ride the MX tracks here on a '97 or '98 Sport 400L (Yellow one) and a similar year Trailblazer. They were both slightly to moderately modified and had Fox shocks.

When our main track was shorter & in it's beginning stages, the 400EXs, 250Rs, Banshee's, and my ATC250R would turn around 39 second lap times, the best the Polaris' ever turned was around a 45 for the 400 and a little longer for the 250 (we all switch bikes a lot, so don't blame it on the riders). Those numbers don't seem too awful bad, but consider the short laps. The worst part though was the punishment delivered to both the Polaris rider and bike. It took it's toll on both bikes, both ruined their suspensions, both suffered broken rear axles, the T-blazer suffered a thrashed transmission (the sudden shock to the tranny delivered by landing the jumps and the associated instantaneous tire slow down) & several other misc problems. During the same time frame, nothing broke on the other bikes. Both Polaris riders got discouraged, and decided the punishment to thier machines was not worth it. They got to where they would no longer ride with us and eventually both ended up selling their rides (I shoulda bought the 400L as he sold it very, very cheap, with the problems repaired).

Not trying to bash your ride, just a word of caution that the Polaris bikes were never intended for the punishment that MX can deliver. The auto tranny may be a slight advantage on the holeshot, but seems to be a big disadvantage on the rest of the track. I must say though, the girlfriends and wives loved the Trailblazer on the track.....

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-01-2000, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldnt even think of MXing a polaris and i own a '98 Polaris Trail Blazer. I'm selling it and getting a Honda TRX310R here soon because the polaris is just not made for hard, mx riding. They're too heavy and not very well engineered. I have seen a couple MX polaris sports but they have A LOT of money put into them. I dont think i would want to try mxing on a stock polaris frame/suspension. I cracked the swingarm on my polaris from jumping. I think Aaen may make an aftermarket frame and you can get Fox front struts and rear shock. RCR, Hpd, Aaen and a few more companys do polaris motorwork.

Old 08-08-2000, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

It's obvious to me that you have no idea how to ride mx. It dosent' matter about the machine, only the rider. A good rider on a lesser atv, can beat a less experienced rider on a fully modded atv. If he's a good rider, he may not need mods to be a top contender in an amateur class. Don't get me wrong, POlaris 400 isn't made for mx, but with a little money in it, it can be. They have a great powerplant but they need shox to replace thos sucky struts. I'd put shocks, pipe, clutch kit, then maybe a new piston or bore or some other engine work. Just my opinion. Later

Quick Reply: Polaris MXer