ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Race Quad-all around performance!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Quad-all around performance!

Hey guys,

The name is kane,
Hey is my delimia.I have been riding atv's for a while now..I feel that since I love it so much I want to give racing a shot.I have always been on an utilitly atv all my life..The only other sport quads I have driven is a 250 ex.It was pretty responsive..Ok So I aam so used to ridding the big mud tired rachers and stuff so what would a change to the sport side be like..What kind of racing would be best suited for Louisiana...I havent really checked into all the races and stuff but i know i can travel..anyways..When selecting a quad for racing I would say that size, weight, and power are the MAJOR factors...am i right?..I have looked into the honda 250 r's though i havent ridden one..I like the size of them..I do NOT WANT A BIG BULKY SPORT QUAD...WHERE IS THE FUN IN THAT...What I really want to know is what is the 250 r capable of? and will it hang with the dawgs of the normal amature classes of todays time...I really like the sound of the two strokes...and by a guess I would say that they are more snappy(low end, top end) then the 4 strokes.I am 17 and might be a bit tight on funds...I have a VERY NICE Jetski...Its the waveblaster 1 IN PERFECT CONDITION....You wont find a cleaner one inside and out....Would this be a possible trade in for a race quad...

Question #1.What would i need to do to get into the racing scene?
#2. What kind of quads are best suited for what track types?
#3. TWO OR FOUR STROKE....

Thanks in advance for any information!
Kane
Btw I am new to this forum..MY msn is kane_schutzman@hotmail.com if anyone wants to add me.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Kane,
Search the forums, you'll find answers to almost all your questions. As far as getting into the scene, start going to your local tracks. There you'll find your answers to bikes and setups. Start making friends too, with everyone. Don't trade your ski in, sell it outright and use the cash as a down payment. Most tracks aren't racing right now here, but I don't know what the off-season is in LA. I'm sure you can still go to tracks and hang out during practice sessions. Check out motocrosstracks.com for some tracks near you, and RacerX came out with an inset called RacerX's Guide to America's Motocross Tracks that has a complete listing of registered tracks. Look for it online. As far as drag, TT and other tracks, you'll have to search for them. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

you might want to look into a banshee over a 250r if your set on a 2 stroke, the banshee has more power potential and there are endless aftermarket parts, and your can buy banshees all day long.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

banshees dont do that great on a mx track though. 250r is more at home on the mx track

Old 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There are no "better" quads. There are "better" riders.
As for 2 or 4 stroke, The 4 strokes are easyer to ride. Less clutching in the corners and such.I have rode/raced both.
I'm 46 and 250# and love my 250R on the mx track, TT track, dunes,trails,etc.
When I get old and fat I'll consider one of the new 4 strokes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
To be honest, if money wasn't an issue, I'd have the TRX 450R in my garage now!

Old 12-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Range Rover

What type of racing are you wanting to get into... motocross, flattrack or crosscountry? That will make quite a difference on the quad you should look at. I am racing flatrack amature and doing very well with a 400ex. You can get those fairly cheap now and put alittle aftermarket stuff on them. But if you have the money I would go with a 450r or YFZ, they are much easier to ride and maintain and pretty much come race ready.