ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

first race next weekend---advice anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first race next weekend---advice anyone?

my first race is next weekend. the track is long and narrow. its really hard to pass on for quad. can anyone give me advice for the start, and keeping the compation behind me. its my first race so i dont want to make anyone mad. i know in the practice heats they dont get to mad if ya hold them up, i expect that to change on race day...lol

Old 10-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

don't make anyone crash. otherwise just try and keep everyone behind you. don't be afraid to try and pass, just be smart about where you pass. corners are a good spot to get people, and so are whoops. but I wouldn't try passing in the whoops unless your bike is setup for it, and you know what you're doing. passing in the air is also an option, again, you've got to know what you're doing.

just be safe and smart. the most important thing is to have fun.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

Dont worry about making people mad, just worry about keeping them behind you.
Ride smart, calculate your moves so that you dont make a foolish mistake.
You cant win the race on the first lap, but you certainly can lose it. Hold back a little bit at the beginning of the race and then go for it towards the end.
Cap'n

Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I just had my first race on sep 25. I tink the best advice I can give is just go have fun, and don't ride over your head. I know I would gain a couple of spots just cause people were doing things they were not used to doing. Just go have a good time. Also on your holeshot, watch for the little pin that holds the gate up, when that moves then. Dont wait for the gate to move. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

update on first race...it was very interesting, i had a blast with the other riders. i got the hole shot on the first heat. i pulled off a 5nd place finish. on heat2 i crashed. i was tryin to make a pass on the out side going into a turn downhill, i was to hard on the gas coming out and went sidways an tires grabed hard and flipped over. it took me awhile to get my quad back on the wheels cuz other riders were passing, when i got it over it was flooded, and took me a min or so to get it fired back up.... i talked to the other riders at the end and they told me one problem i have is that i'm "gas happy" to much in the turns ,and i spin to much and not moving...lol i had fun, go back next sunday for the TT race and go after that...gotta thank all of ya for ur advice, maybe next week huh...lol