ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Honda 300ex, and was wondering, what are the major things you have to have for racing. I would like to know, how to get the most performance, and top speed.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2000, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

you should go with chassis components first in my openion. you can have the fasted quad, but with stock shocks, a-arms ect you can't hit the jumps and corner as good. get your shocks wider a-arms, and a wider axle first, and get a pipe somewhere in there also

Old 10-29-2000, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Starting out i wanna ask what kinda racing your gonna do. I am gonna assume that your talking about MX. I agree with the previous post. Get different shocks (not works, get something better), then get a-arms (Lonestar make good 300EX arms), then a wider axle (lonestar here as well.) THen do your motor work. My 300EX has everything i told you, and it does well on a MX track. The best advice i can give you though, is to sell the 300EX, and buy a 250R!

Old 10-29-2000, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I was planning on racing motocross. What gearing should I run, that i need both acceleration and top speed? what would you recommend, for pipe, air filter, and that good stuff?
let me know, thanks to who replied you are all helping me

Old 10-29-2000, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I were u I would defiantly sell the 300ex.....get either a 250r, Banshee, or a 400ex. If your not wanting to do too much with the shocks and everything else go with the 400ex.

If your goin to stay with the 300ex.......good luck trying to keep up

Old 10-29-2000, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt listen to all these guys who say that a 300ex cant be raced in MX. First of all, they have a 4-stroke 0-350cc class, you cant run a 250r or 400ex in this, so whats the point? If you are starting out, a 300ex is a great beginners bike, I first started racing on a basically stock 300ex, blew my shocks the first race! I then traded for an R, but am planning to buy another 300 soon, so that I can have something to play with thats not a full on race setup.
Anyway...like I said, I blew my shocks, so I would get those and A-arms and axle first, after a pipe that is. I would want to bump my power up at least a little before I went real crazy on suspension.
If you plan to race just local races and just want something ok works shocks are better than stock. But if you really wanna race hardcore, get TCS, PEP, or AXIS shocks. Also, when you get a new axle, get a new carrier as well, the carriers are weak on a 300ex.
As far as the engine goes, I would get a cam, port and polish and a 330 bigbore kit. As well as a pipe, unifilter, bigger carb and jetting kit.
You will also need to change stock tires quickly. Get some 18X11X8 inch tires on rear, these can be either holeshot, turf-tamers or razors, I run tamers, and get these on at least .190's if not beadlocks. Then for the front get MX radials on .190's.
After this, you should at least have a machine to compete in the 350 4-stroke class at any level.

Old 10-30-2000, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

whys everyone gotta pic on the works shock i race in 250A and i run works front with pep ZPS rear. i dont like the zps fronts. the works shocks work great if there set up right. there the same body as pep and tcs. thereslots of pros that run works shocks.

2000 laegers 250r works fronts pepZPS rear lrd national motor

Old 10-30-2000, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks (Rhino99) Is a K&N jet kit a good kit to get, or is there a better one on the market? When you say get the big bore kit, and the shocks, is there a good website on the net that has all these high performance parts (besides RcR)? What is your opinion on pipes? would you go with the White Brothers E Series? or is there a better one to go with? Is this pipe very loud? What about gearing, should I leave that stock, or what should I do? Thanks

Old 10-30-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, a 300EX is a great starter bike i agree. But as you get better youll defintely feel it going downhill. I wouldn't spend much on it, unlesss you have it to spare. I spent way too much on mine, and now i am trying to sell it. I would suggest stock gearing. WIth the motor work described it will pull well. I would also get turf tamers, and MX front radials. I love my Ohlins front shox. I would highly reccomend them.
i hope you do well with your quad.

Old 10-31-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Alright, as for who has the parts on the web, I am not sure for that. Sorry. I would check out CTracing and 4-stroke tech for the 330kit. I would get a web cam.
I dont know about the jet kit, I prefer to just buy my own jets and get just what I need, I have never used a kit.
As far as gearing, I would say that stock would work well once you have these mods. In fact, you might even be able to run a tooth bigger in the front and get more top end.
I had an FMF pipe on my 300 and it was awesome. I have 3 friends with 300ex, one has a cobra (no power) one a DG (not much more than the cobra) and one has the white bros. Mine had more power than all of them. The cobra and DG have around the fram pipes while the FMFs goes inside the frame rail, I think this makes more power. The white bros doesnt come with a headpipe, thats extra. Therefore I think the FMF makes more power because of that. I also hear a supertrapp is a good racing pipe.
Like trx300EXR says, I would not pour HUGE amounts of money into your bike at first. I would get maybe a pipe and maybe some shocks or something and head to the track. Race a few times to get the feel of it and then go from there. That way you can see what you really need, if you need better suspension, more power, both, a bigger quad, whatever and build on what you need.
I also feel that once you et some experience you will want more than that 300 can offer, however if you put all the stuff recommended on there, it will be a national class 4-stroke bike! I upgraded to a 250r after 3 races on my 300, as I see trx300EXR has done as well. I had way to much into my 300 that I couldnt get back out of it. Luckily I found a guy who was wanting to do the opposite of whta I was and we traded straight up.
Good luck with whatever you do. If you would like any more info, e-mail me and I will do what I can.

trx300EXR, will you e-mail me the details and price of your 300? I have been lookin for a full race one for a week or so to play with in my backyard practice track. Its no fun racing 300exs on a 250r and want something to just play with, electric start, etc.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Racing