ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

ATV Racing,,,what we need to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 29 years old and been riding quads for the last 3 years. For the past 2 years I have raced here in the New England. This series has only around for 2 years and have races at Jolly Roger in Lempster NH and Moto338 in Southwick MA. Next year we are adding a third track (Walden, NY) and a possible total of 12 races.

The topic of adding a GNC National race at Southwick has been brought up a few times during the past year on the GNC. Recently ATV Scene wanted to sponsor a race at Southwick for the 2001 season. Big numbers were promised to promote the race. Would it help our local race series recruit new riders? Of course! Would it receive local coverage in the media? Just might. Southwick is a non-profit track. All (or most) of the profits are turned back into the local community. So when the bikes make their annual national stop, the community receives a few hundred thousand dollars. This prompts the local media to promote the track and the big name races. The more people show up to watch, the more money the locals get. But for some reason the GNC board or AMA board decided to try for a TT race instead. Just to keep the series at an even split, 4 MX - 4 TT.

By keeping TT races on the schedule, the riders must have 2 complete quads (1 for each type) or enough parts to switch over along with the time to make the change. Now I have never raced nor viewed a TT race in person. But I think they should separate the two.

Here is why:

1. For the MX (or TT) part, this would allow more dates for the growing number of racetracks across the country. At the very least 4 more dates could be handed to other tracks across the nation.
2. Those new dates at new tracks would help build a stronger local series. More local riders with dreams of making it big.
3. Sponsorship teams would save money by preparing one type of quad. This money could go for travel expenses for new tracks.
4. The cost of an amateur starting out in either type of series would have a lower cost due the one type of quad (or parts) needed.
5. New rivalries could be formed if the schedules of each type of series do not conflict. This of course would difficult, but possible. If the TT and MX follow each other around the country and participate on different weekends then the riders that have the resources could participate in each series. I am sure some of the egos in the pro ranks would eat up the chance to win a MX title and a TT title in the same year.

What are the drawbacks? Well, for the MX, I really do not see any. But the TT may suffer a low turn out and eventually fold. I will feel bad if this happens, but I think it would be at the hands of the TT racetracks not the series itself. From what I understand the TT races have become a freight train from the holeshot to the finish. If the tracks choose to not change the track layout to suit a more competitive race (passing for one example) then only they could be blamed.

For how long can the MX side of the series hold up the TT part? I mean no disrespect towards the TT track or that racing style. But right now the public shows more interest in the MX than the TT. Maybe it would not be so if the TT tracks improved the racing on their site. Any could guess, but something needs to be done.

All I know is that the decision to keep Southwick off the national schedule will only hurt the sport. Just as keeping it out of other tracks across the county will have the same effect. On average, a Southwick race has had between 200 and 300 riders. With a national stop, the number would far exceed 500 riders for the weekend. The exposure here in New England would boost sales and especially the number of new racers.

Aftermarket companies or manufactures helping? They will only join up if they feel a profitable investment can be made. Build the series and they will come! The exposure would be too great for them to leave it alone.

Old 11-14-2000, 05:21 PM
REP
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Southwick is a great track. When it was on the national circuit there was always good turn out and the track was run well. What I would do is split TT and MX. Make two different series with there being 10 MX nationals and 8 TT/Short Track nationals. Two diffrent champions. This would cut the cost of racing for people who are not intrested in racing TT. Lets face it, if you want the same bike that the new champion had for TT it would cost you 22,000. That is the amount coming from the owners mouth. They split cross country so they can split TT and MX. Now ask yourself why it is not being done! Because the aftermarket people are making so much money selling people two different set ups. 2 engines "porting", 2 pipes, 2 carbs, 2 sets of front shocks, 2 sets of rear shocks, tt tires and wheels, mx tires and wheels, sway bars, 2 swingarms, 2 sets of a- arms, and the list goes on. The national series is the cash cow for these compaines. If you split the series you would not have as many people going to the TT races. Older racers may attended because it is easier on their bodies but, most people would attend MX races because it is more enjoyable to do and watch. 10 MX races and they should be spread out alittle. Add southwick, a texas race, and a race out west and FL. I hate to say it but it was better in the late 80's and early 90's when races were held in more places then TN.