ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

How to build a track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There aren't too many tracks here in Northern California so I decided to make a track myself. So I was wondering if you guys could help me with some info. on how to build a track. The main problems is how big, how tall, how long and how wide do the jumps need to be. I'd really be apprecitive if you guys could give me some info. on what works with your tracks. Please also include how much of a straight away before the jumps.

00' honda 400ex - custom axis shocks, +2 a-arms, +4 axle, white-bros. pipe, K+N airfilter, renthal handlebars, maier plastic, dg nerfs, and turf tamers on 8inch rims.

Old 11-15-2000, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

What I did when I built my practice track was make jumps that you are used to, height wise. Then to make a double, at first make it a tabletop and then after you figure out where you usually land, dig up all the dirt between. Just pretty much ride it and visualize it in your heard or draw it out first and then ride it. Build one jump at a time and have fun doing it, it won't happen over night.

Old 11-15-2000, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

What my cousin did was measure the height and lenght of all the doubles at a real track and make them that way. I am going to make a track soon.I am asking my parents to rent me a bobcat for chrismas.This weekend my freind (jviper85) and I are going to spray paint the tree's we need to chop down before we get the bobcat.

Old 11-15-2000, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

i built a track in my back yard and my neighbors yard. i was lucky enough that he rode and i did so it goes threw both yards. We have a big ford tractor with a bucket. We have had just about everything in the track that you could have. We put whoops in at one point but they sucked so we took them out. You just have to relize that it will take time for you to do it. It will never really be done. Like today my friends and me were out building a new jump. As you ride more you will want bigger and bigger jumps. We started out with little 2 foot jumps now we have 7 foot jump with 60 foot gap. I never really planned the distance between jumps. I would build the takeoff and slowly jump that to see were i land and then put the landing ramp 5 or so feet further. I also would like to add the bank turns are a waist. I have had 2 of them and still have one. i use it but a flat turn would be just as easy with less dirt.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

Straight away between jumps is important. Remember standing and looking at a jump is much different than riding in 3rd gear or higher.

If the jump has a large rolled landing, then less straight away is needed before the next jump. I would keep at least 40 feet in there. More for bigger/higher speed jumps.

If it is a big jump with a small technical landing then allow more straight away before the next hit. You will need the room to recover from a bobble on the technincal type landing. Being out of control when hitting the next jump is a sure way to wreck.
I would allow at least 80 feet between the landing and the next hit.

If you put in a rythym section, then you will want very little straight away. 10 - 25 feet depending on how big the rythyms are.

Some things to think about...

A 30-45 degree turn before a jump can make things more challenging and more fun.

Make use of the natural terrain. Fall away jumps are good practice and provide a fun floating feeling.

Build something and ride it. If the area is large enough, just start with various hits here and there and connect them later with other challenges. If the area is small, you won't have this luxury.

You can always make changes if you decide that something is to dangerous or not challenging enough.