ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Difference between XC and MX

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between XC and MX

Whats the difference between XC and MX and which 1 would an 03 blaster do well in

Old 05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

The only thing I know is that XC means cross country and MX means motorcross.

If somebody could please informs us more, i'd appreciate it. Thanks

Old 05-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

XC races are usually on a trail/track that is 5+ miles long and takes 10 - 15 minutes to do a lap. They are usually timed races vs. numbers of laps with most of the lower classes doing 45 minutes or so, and Pros going for 1 hour. You can actually race longer than that because if the leader crosses the start/finish at the 59 minute mark, you race a whole nother lap. Check out GNCC for examples of times/riders and rules. Though there are allot of different GNCC type races, that one is one of the more nationally known circuits.

MX is usually on a shorter track where you complete a lap in 2-3 minutes. Races are usually set for a specific number of laps and run in motos. 2 motos per class per race with the winner of the class being determined by their combined outcome from the 2 motos. I'm only familiar with some of the series out in the west, but the ITP series is a big one out here.

In my gallery I have some videos from the different MX tracks in the Phoenix area to give you an idea what a MX track looks like. Speedworld actually runs both the ITP series and the GNCC. GNCC they open up the desert to lengthen the track. Don't be surprised when you see it cause most people think of MX as what the do in the stadiums and arenas. That is not MX on a quad, or on a bike, it is considered SX or supercross and it would kill a guy on a quad to run some of those tracks.