ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

need more low end

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more low end

we have a trx honda 90, and would like to stick with it a couple more years, the problem is low end power, we have dropped down a tire size on the rear, that helped a little, we run all hare scrambles with it so we never really see any high end, my son is tying is best but the 2 strokes, have alot of low power, iwas considering changing the front sprocket or maybe a new pipe, the bike is very dependible and we do trail ride a little i dont want to affect the reliablity, by making a bad decision, or spending money without seeing any change,any ideas

Old 07-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

try a sproket first.... thats what i did.... and what about 2 cycle/stroke??????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

diid the sprocket change help much, and why not 2 stroke, well we need to keep what we have if possible, but the drr brand is looking pretty good, and it already has low end and top end and rides nice and handles nice , and looks nice and runs real strong, sounds like we may not keep what we have after all, the parts and trying to locate them for the trx is just getting to hard to find and way to expensive

Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

umm ... i have not ever had a 2 stroke.... but i do know somethings about them... one yes they will have more bottom end.... but more diffuclte than 4 strokes........ iv been told that they are a pain in the but...(so iv herd)... but if ur some one who know knows what there doing then idk..... and well im not to shure i havent relly ridden it to much..... i need a new chain...(getting it tomaro)...... but i mean for like 20 $ y not try it...... how many tooth in the front is it??????

Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

You can gain quite a bit of power with carb adjustments. You can 'air-jet' the air box (get more air in there) then if need be you can go up on the main jet.
If you check the Arctic Cat forum for 'air-jetting for $3-6.00 I did a whole post on what to do and how to do it. Jets cost about $2.00 each.
You will need to know how to do a correct WOT run to determine your jet size.
Once you have the carb tuned to peak then it should be ok.
Other than that you are looking at expences for cam shafts etc and other engine mods.
If you are strictly racing and water is not an issue then a good paper air filter or a very lightly oiled filter helps (Marvel Mystery Oil on the air filter).
You get power from gas - more gas more power, but you have to have the correct mix of air and fuel for it to burn correctly so as to produce the most power.
If racing and noise is not an issue then you can cut the exhaust pipe and neck it up about a half an inch or so for about 12 inches and neck it back down (you may not need to neck it back down). Very inexpensive way to make a collector or to free flow your exhaust. This will however affect your timing. There are no adjustments for timing and the best you can do to assist with that is to change the gap on your spark plug (you can advance or retard the spark timing a little).
If you want to spend some money ($300) you can install a dial-a-jet with the remote float bowl and induct the carb with alcohol, methane, nitrus or what ever you want to use.
You could also put a little isopropyl alcohol in with your gas. This will ionize your gas (make mist from big drops) for more efficient burning. Also will lower the combustion chamber temp (100 degrees or more). In effect it would be like running in cooler weather - which means you can run a little richer (more gas - bigger main jet).
You can also add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas, this will lubricate the top part of your engine and also seal your rings better for better compression.
You want to also run the <u>lowest octane</u> that you can (burns faster) without your engine pinging.
Reroute your air intake to be in front of your handle bars - this draws cooler air for the motor instead of the hot air that is around the engine. (cooler air has more oxygen).
All the above with the exception of the dial-a-jet induction cost very little to do. Less than $20.00
You can also build 'cold cans' from coffee cans route your gas line (run coils around the inside of the can), (before each race you need only fill the 'cold-can' with ice). This will cool your gas shrinking the molecules (more gas by volume).
My guess would be - air-jetted, bigger jets, alcohol gas mix, Marvel Mystery Oil mix, cold-can - close to 20-25% boost in HP. Cost - less than $20.00.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

well buckaroo, you have a lot of knowledge for sure, and i dont have the time or patience to do all that stuff, mostly the patience part, and we love the honda but it was never intended to race harescrambles we plan on keeping it regardless if we buy another quad or not, about the frontsprocket, i was told that adding one tooth in the front is like adding 3 to 4 in the rear, so i might have to buy a smaller for the rear to compensate, the reason for not just getting a bigger rear and forgetting about it is ground clearance we dont have alot now, beacuse we dropped the rear tire from a19 to 18 hoping to gain alittle more low end, so see one fix creates another problem, i am sure the honda is buy far better quality quad for everyday ridding than the drr, but again the drr is factory race ready at around 23 hundred and just shocks for the trx that are race quality are around 850 dollars and then you need diiferet a arms, different swing arm, so againmore money, i still feel that the drr being ready to race is going to be cheaper than building up the trx and we will still have the trx to trail ride,probably not the smartest idea but i still feel the best

Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

There is a lot that can be done with stock suspension without investing in a great deal of money. It is all about weight transfer, loading and unloading and desired hookup points. With some tuning on tire pressures and suspension preloads a lot can be done. Doesn't necessarily require A-arms or swing arms. Just an understanding of what is going on with the machine and what adjustments needed to be made for desired results. Simply making a movie of the race and watching the tires and suspension can be a tremendous aid in setting up a machine.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

G- man, if u want more bottom end then u want to go smaller in the front, and if that does not give u the power u want then u can go bigger in the back...... and i tink if u subtrace 2 teeth in the front then its like adding 4 in the back........