ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

atv jumping, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv jumping, help needed

Hello, i have been riding an atv for a few months now. I have a Can am ds450 x.. I am starting to try to learn small jumps and wheelies and need a little help please. for the jumping, i hit the jump and im not standing, i am like squatting leaning more to the back, the problem i have is - i feel like i am getting ok air but once i hit the lip of the jump and am instantly in the air i have a hard time landing with my feet on the pegs. I mean, most of the time im ok, i blip the throttle just before jump, but really theres no room for error on small to medium jumps no time for correction, whenever i get a little more air i feel my feet come down rather hard on the pegs, i must have hit te jmp good yesterday cause i missed the pegs and fell off the atv sideways, i am 170lbs. are you supposed to pull the atv into yourself or hug the gas tank with your thighs? i just cant seem to keep my feet on the pegs, i think its the dynamics of jumpsing but what am i doing wrong.. also, i am trying wheelies, i give it like 40% power and pop the clutch, barely a wheelie, i know im kind of scared to gun it and pop the clutch, how are these things, safe for the most part? can the atv really flip? or is it safe to give it 60 or so percent gas to get it up there, thank you all in advance...

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

With the jump I would say it sounds like you need to preload your shocks as you are on the the jump. And it will feel like your feet are coming off the pegs if you quad is nose diving to stop this hit the gas in the air to bring your front end up. With the wheeling don't pop you clutch you will have more control if you lead back and hit the gas in first gear. Let the quad get to a point were it's going slow enough that it's almost only rolling the hit the gas and lean back. also if you want a easier and safer way to begin to learn wheelies keep one foot on the pegs and the other on the seat with your foot in the grab bar then do the same with the gas and leaning. doing it this lets you be able to jump off if it goes over and you will have to give it less gas. When you find the balance point you'll be able to go for miles. Hopefully this helps

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

the trick to preloading is to stand up with ur knees bent, as u go up the ramp, push ur legs out, compressing the shocks more, as u leave the jump, let ur legs bend back up as the quad comes up. later as you get better, u can learn how to use your legs as suspention to soak up stuff, to keep ur wheels on the ground, and how to whip it and stuff.