2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi solenoid wires????

Old 06-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi solenoid wires????

NEED HELP!!!!I came across a new project bike fairly cheap,, it's a 08 sportsman 500 ho efi, the guy who had the bike said he rode the bike then left it running and was washing it off and it just shut off ,, and wldnt start back up, the cluster wld come back on but wldnt turn over or nothing, so he thought it was solenoid and went to replace solenoid and apparently bough wrong one and pretty much gave up on bike,, in the process of him taking the old solenoid off he messed up some of e wires by the solenoid,, there's 3 red wires that come out of wire harnes that runs down side of frame of bike by solenoid , they all have inlined fuses on them but 2 of the wires after fuse turn blueish in color and the 3rd goes to blck,, and at the end they seem spliced all together,, and metal piece crimped them together possibly where they bolted to something?. Question is do they go to solenoid and if so wich side ,, or where might they go?.IF ANYONE HAS A PIC OF THIER SOLENOID AND WIRES RAN WLD APPRECIATE IT AS WELL,,. Thank you so much for you help

Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

According to the schematic the red wires hook up at the + (battery) side of the solenoid along with the positive cable from the battery. Should be a 2 wire connector also(unless po cut it) white/red and brown that hooks to the solenoid as the trigger. If you still have problems a cheap 5 buck manual can help.Best to have one anyway.2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Service Manual PDF Download

Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

Ok thanks a bunch ,, will start trying to put it back together today,,,

Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

ok so now im left with no spark, replaced stator, solenoid , starter and bendix, and new battery,, I tried jumping solenoid to check for sprk, NONE.,, so key is on the ON position and lights work ,cluster works, then toggle kill switch to off postion and it kills everything so I can rule out faulty kill switch and ignition switch I believe, cld it be faulty comp on atv?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

With the key on plug grounded against engine,do you have spark if you try the recoil start? If you don't have spark,go through the trouble shooting guide of the manual I listed. Shows resistance specs on the stator,pulse coil,etc even if your replaced parts. No sense in throwing any more parts at it.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

Opt,, are saying take ground off frame and put it on motor, and try to recoil start it via pull cord to check for spark??? If it does has spark??? Or if it doesn't have spark?? What wld be next steps , ignition coil?? Ecu?? I've been leaning more on replacing the ecu but not sure if I buy a new oem one 4012443- will I have to take it to dealer to get it programmed?? Or if I chance one off eBay will I have to do the same thing,,I've read some people saying yes on the program and others saying no just plug it in !! Thanks for all your help..

Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to mention I used a test light and checked from ignition switch to solenoid, the white wire with red stripe for power with key on its getting power all the way to solenoid but not turning solenoid to start or fire spark,,

Old 06-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have power from the ignition switch to the solenoid,but the solenoid doesn't transfer power to the starter,then could be the solenoid itself is at fault.In your first post this is where you mentioned the previous owner installed a different one and screwed up the wiring.If you haven't replaced the solenoid with the correct one,I'd do that plus look at the schematic that shows the other wiring hook ups. If you get it to turn over,but still no spark,best on the efi system to spend the hour labor charge to let the dealers Digital Wrench find the problem. Can save you a lot of frustration.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for info, I have replaced the solenoid with a new oem one, wld a faulty ign, kill switch, or ecm do what is happening to this machine? If I try and pull start it and still no spark what wld be next step or conclusion, I believe this atv doesn't have a pdm but only the ecm , is that correct?? Or is there another electrical unit some where I'm missing?And even if the solenoid if bad , but it's new , lol,, the bike sold still have spark right?? All help is appreciated ,, I'm thinking of just buying a new ecm #4012443,, is the new part # for the ecm, and trying that and a new coil,, ?..if I get the new ecm will it have to programmed??

Old 06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes it has the ecm(ecu/brain box) on this model and has a regulator rectifier,doesn't have a pdm module that others have. Don't pay close to $400 for a new ecm when usually a one hr labor charge on Digital Wrench can usually solve or find the problem. Only so much you can do with test lights and meters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi solenoid wires????