ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Questions about hittin the track!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys.....and girls.....When i go out on the track i hit it hard ...and when i come up to a jump in a race should i just peg it and fly or should i find my line and take it with a rythm...i am hopin to win some races this summer of atleast place in them..lol...i have been practicing ..just in off road places makin a little track and tryin to get faster and faster times on it....i would really appriciate it if you guys would give me all your tips and stradgies and racing and hopefully i can use in a future race...or if you have any story's or questions for me i would love to listen and respond to them.....and if any of you guys or girls are from pa maybe we arnt far away and we can meet and ride some time...if not let me know of some good ridin and racin areas...thanx alot...
Peace!

Cory-2000Banshee/Renthal bars and grips/Puresport Bandits mounted on .190 douglas rims/Prodesign tetherswitch/Dg nerf's/and more too come soon! Later my fellow racers....

"Born and Bred to Rip and Shred"

Old 03-06-2001, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello
i am from PA also and i intend on starting to race this year. It will be my first year i am hoping to do well also. I plan on starting late so i can get in some practice! Maybe we will meet up sometime at the track (not the same class though, i ride a 400EX) good luck
later

Old 03-07-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I will tell u to take the rythem on the large whoops and doubles or tripples u don't clear. U do not want to just peg it because u will not be set up for the second jump. But on one jump out of the corner peg it and fly. Good luck to u in ur coming races!
86 LT250R, ac nerfs, racin plastic, seat and a FMF fatty pipe

Old 03-07-2001, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys alot for the tips and stradgies......i like being able to come on here and talk to some nice people like your selves......so thanx alot and if you guys got some pictures or you are from around here let me know and maybe we could ride sometime....thanx alot...laterz

Old 03-07-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a suggestion: Try to stay calm! I have only raced a few times, but every single one of them I did the nervous knee bounce sooooo much before the moto, I was wasted before the race even started... Seriously, so far for me, the best part of racing is that pounding in my heart and head, sitting at the line, the 2 minutes before the gate drops!

I usually don't jump the big ones on the first lap, sometimes not even the second. If I see somebody else do it, I will always go for the big ones. As long as somebody else makes it tho!

I am far far from an expert on this subject, but I feel the corners, and the whoops are more important. I am determined I am going to build a 100 yard (or more) whoop section in my yard and just practice the heck out of it. All my friends who tried racing last summer with me all say the whoops are the worst part.

Also, don't go in expecting to place in your first race. If you are in good practice, and in good shape, you will probably do excellent. It is way harder to actually race than it is to watch. Being in good shape with some stamina will help as much or more than skill I think. I was able to place second in my second race. My first race I went so hard core for the first two laps, I was half a lap ahead of everybody, but fell all the way to fifth by the end! My hands were literally falling off the bars in the whoops in the last lap. And I cased it on the last double right before the finish line and almost went over frontwards, that takes A LOT out of you when that crap happens. Just try to stay calm!!! Nobody told me that before I tried racing!

Good luck!

A CAN'T WAIT UNTIL SUMMER!!!!

Old 03-07-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Don't start late! I started near the begining of spring last year and everybody was just getting better and better and better! Don't wait. Practice is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING like racing at all.

Old 03-08-2001, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

Practice with 5 or 6 guys and it will be more like racing. Practicing by yourself is in no way like racing. You dont have guys flying through the air beside you, or over you, you dont have people to crash into. And this may sound stupid but I like to sing songs when I'm in the staging area. When I do that I'm not thinking about winning or getting the holeshot or anything. I sing until the gate drops, then I go all out. Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, i couldn't agree more with philzie. The most hardcore feeling is two minutes before your moto, sitting on the line. Your whole body has the most adrenaline goin through it. Its great. Even better than that i think, is the instant the gate drops and all that energy somewhat releases, youre in the pack all the way to the first turn, and if you get the holeshot, its a great feeling.

Old 03-09-2001, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Be sure your quad starts. Sounds stupid, but when I was racing motocross, I almost started a race with the engine not running when I thought it was. I has kicked it, thought it was running...and the vibrations and noise came from the 400yzf on my left and 250 on my right. Kind of stupid, I guess, but you can't hear anything...just do it...
If you fell you can't get the holeshot...get the outside line.
Go for it the first laps. It's easier to stay in front then to pass the first. Dust sometimes (often) helps.
You have to practice a lot with people a bit faster than you, and as jerk and arrogant as possible. This way, you wil give everything you have to be first.