ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Race Write-up from Maypearl, TX (Last Race of the Year!)

Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Race Write-up from Maypearl, TX (Last Race of the Year!)

Last Saturday, I drove to Maypearl, Texas to compete in the last TORN series cross-country ATV race of the year. Below is my race write-up.

WHERE:
Maypearl, TX…it’s a tiny town about an hour south of Dallas/Ft. Worth. This track takes the racers through tight, twisty woods, across open pasture areas, in and out of dry creekbeds and around a few ponds. The wooded trails were tight and twisty in places and contained several steep drop offs and climbs into and out of dry creekbeds. The open areas were a bit bumpy in places, but plenty smooth to powerslide around the turns, which were layed out in a zig-zag fashion around small piles of dirt.

TRACK CONDITIONS:
The weather was PERFECT! It was sunny and cool with temps in the 60's when my afternoon race started. Just wish it could be like this at every race.

The ATV track length was 4.1 miles according to my ATV's odometer. The big challenges for this race included about a half-dozen steep drop offs, lots of tight woods and dust (a visibility concern).

OVER 40 B CLASS:
When we lined up at the starting line, I counted a total of only 5 quads in the Over 40 B class...about 3 less than the normal line-up. This being the last race of the season, attendance appeared to be down in most ATV classes (I can only guess b/c many folks had already secured season points needed for the top spots in each class). On this day, my class line-up included a Can Am 450 (Kris, current points leader), KTM 450 (Matt, who always brings a tough battle for me), a Polaris Scrambler 500 4wd (Roger, all around nice guy and tough to beat in a muddy race), a Yam 450 (Chris, super nice guy that just wants to have fun) and my KFX700.

SEASON POINTS RACE:
This being the last race of the year, it was all about season points. Coming into this race, I was in a solid 3rd place in season points with no mathematical chance to catch the top 2 guys. I had a comfortable lead over the 4th place guy in my class, but I still had to show up and finish the race to secure my 3rd place standing in season points. That being the case, my only goal for this race has been to run a clean race and finish (any position is fine)...a DNF would put me in jeopardy of losing 3rd place if the 4th place guy showed up and finished strong.

Once I got to the starting line, I realized the 4th place guy was absent from this race and so I had no pressure from a season points standpoint. Regardless, I still intended to run a clean race and finish without a DNF. There were several tight trees posing a DNF risk for the racers.

PRACTICE:
After making the 3 and 1/2 hour drive to Maypearl, I had sufficent time to get in 2 practice laps. When I got to the scoring schute area to get onto the track, I got confused and started riding on the pee wee ATV track. About a half-mile into the pee wee track, I realized that this can't possibly be the right course. Just then, I noticed a few "big ATVs" practicing on the real track where I was supposed to be and so I made my way over to the right track. Doh!

THE START:
Like the last few races, this start required each class to take turns taking off from the front row, which had been dug down a bit and softened up with water so as to make the starting line slippery (the first few turns were also wet/slippery). I have not had a good start in this new format b/c I've been trying to ease into the throttle/avoid spinning too much. Today, I made up my mind to hit WOT on the start and see if I could launch faster.

Finally, the green flag when up and off we went. I nailed the throttle and took off strong. Because I was in the middle of our starting line, I immediately looked to my right and looked for the 2 faster racers. I had a comfortable lead over them and held it going into the first left turn...YES, I won the holeshot! (only the 2nd time this year). I held the lead through the first 4 or 5 turns and got passed by the Can Am 450 just before entering into the first (small) wooded section.

LAP 1:
With the KTM hot on my tail, I had to maintain a fast pace to stay ahead of him. I pushed myself as fast as I dared go (while knowing my limits). It quickly became apparent that I could get a little distance on him in the open areas, but he would catch up in the tight woods. It was a game of cat and mouse at this point and I knew I had to be on my A game if I wanted to take 2nd place on this day. One mistake and he would take 2nd place from me.

As we proceded through the first lap, the course takes you in and out of several tight wooded areas and open pastures with zig zag turns. Close to the midpoint in the lap, you drop down into a dry creekbed and follow it for about 100 yards and climb out of it. A short while later, you end up going into another dry creekbed and following it for a similar distance. At the end of this 2nd creekbed run, there is a tree/obstacle and you have to climb out of the creek on the left side. You have 2 options to do this. The slower way is to slow down/nearly stop and make a hard left (climbing out at a 90 degree angle). The faster way is to get up to speed and climb out at a 45 degree angle right before you reach the tree/obstacle. In practice, I decided that the slower way would be my best bet...I didn't trust my heavy quad going up the 45 degree embankment. I knew this left the door open for faster racers to gain time, but I figured I could make up the time elsewhere. (more on this later)

After the 2nd creekbed run, the course takes you through more open areas with zig-zag turns and then you end up in a long section of tight, twisty woods again. This portion of the trail takes you alongside a deep creek that has a tall foot bridge spanning it. Immediately past this bridge, you go down into and across the dry creek. Then you run along the other side of the deep creek until you end up in a very dense patch of small trees. In the middle of this dense patch stands an old 1970's or 1980's full-size van with UN letters painted on the front. I have no idea how long this van got there or how long its been sitting there, but its a funny sight to see in the middle of dense woods.

Immediately past the van, you come to an area with multiple options to make your way through the dense area of small trees. When I first saw this in practice, I was confused b/c the MCs raced here last weekend and what remains are several small "rabbit trails" running between many trees. Then I realized there are actually only 2 or 3 trails wide enuf for ATVs to manever through this section. At one point during the race, I had finally gotten my lines down through this section of tight woods and thought I was making good time. Then I looked down at my speedo and it only read 13mph!

The last mile of the course takes you into another section of woods where you go down a steep drop off into a dry creekbed about 8 foot deep. This drop off was a bit intimidating the first time I saw it in practice, but its not that bad as long as I remembered to stay off the front brakes. After you run through the bottom of this dry creekbed, you go through another series of zig-zag turns in an open area, hit the scoring schute and then proceed around a pond towards the starting line area.

LAPS 2 - 5:
At the end of laps 1 and 2, I was still holding onto a very small lead over the KTM. We continued to play cat and mouse with me doing better in the open areas and the KTM doing better in the tight, twisty woods.

About half-way through my 2nd lap, I noticed that the KTM was closing the gap on me, including in the open areas where I was previously able to get a little distance between us. I don't know if perhaps I was getting a little tired/slower or perhaps he was getting his 2nd wind.

Then we came upon the 2nd dry creekbed run, and I slowed/climbed out at a 90 degree angle. I peered over my right shoulder to see where he was and saw him fly out of the creekbed at the 45 degree angle and he landed just behind me. At that point, I knew I could no longer hold him off and I waved him past me. I tried to follow him close as long as I could, but the KTM soon disappeared into the long wooded section that we came upon next.

Seeing 2nd place slip away from my hands half-way through the race was frustrating, but not all bad because that meant I could finish the race with no pressure (at that point, I had a comfortable lead over the 4th and 5th place guys and I knew that 3rd place in season points was well within my grasp).

At the end of laps 1 and 2, Scott Robinson (aka "Goggles") was there to give me a status update (saying I was in 2nd place and pointing to the KTM right behind me). At the end of laps 3 and 4, he was trying to hand me a Coors light...perhaps as a consolation prize! Scott was also there for me at the finish line offering a cold water and a shoulder to cry on!

RACE RESULTS:
According to the official results posted at the TORN trailer, I finished this race in 3rd place out of 5. If nothing else, I was very consistent this season. This made the 6th time that I finished in 3rd place (out of 7 races that I competed in). I must say congrats to Kris (Can Am 450) and Matt (KTM 450) for placing 1st and 2nd, accordingly. It was a fun race and these 2 guys made it very interesting for me, especially during the first half of the race.

My hat goes off to Kris for winning the overall title in the Over 40B class this season. I also want to thank Matt for putting up such a great battle in this race and throughout the 2nd half of this season (would have been very interesting if he had raced all year). I look forward to many future battles with Matt. As for me, I am very pleased with my 3rd place overall finish in our class...not bad for an old guy who hasn't raced XC during the past 4 years.

As always, I have to say a big THANK YOU to TORN for putting on a fun event!

I hope you enjoyed my write-up!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like a great race.