ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Better MX quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would be a better jumper and MX racing quad a 400ex or a raptor.

Old 07-08-2001, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

IMHO, as much as i hate to say it stock for stock the Raptor would be my pick. But.............. with a few small mods, the 400 is much better.

Old 07-08-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

This is a pretty difficult question to me. They are both great and capable MX machines. I own a 400EX, and I will not hesitate to say that the Raptor is very fast. The Raptor has that little extra motor to get it around the track, but the 400EX has great handling. I believe the Raptor has more suspension travel, but it's shorter, narrower, and taller than the 400EX. This hinders it on the track some.

With a few modifications, either machine would be a great motocrosser. Stock for stock, here is how I see it. The 400EX has better overall geometry. It's wider, lower stance makes it out-handle the Raptor. The Raptor has it in the motor department of course. The extra 263cc's you have over the 400EX engine helps out.

As I've said before, both are great machines. Stock for stock, I would probably choose the 400EX. The smaller motor of the EX doesn't hinder it as much as you would think. That extra displacement and horsepower certainly helps out. On a large, open MX track, the Raptor would more than likely be faster because of it's larger engine. On smaller MX or SX tracks, the 400EX would probably be faster because of the great handling and low-end to mid-range power. You make the call. I hope I've helped you out with the small book I wrote. Any more questions, and we'll be glad to help you out.

Old 07-08-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

I agree WC. The 400 is an all in all better quad, it handles better because of its lower and wider stance. The raptor would rule on a wide open MX track though. SX, like we race, we have seen that a relatively stock 400 (BT), can beat a Raptor (the sensation).

Old 07-08-2001, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

I am 6'0 and 160lb and I am not done growing yeat and my buddy has a 400ex and I like it alot and I think I want to race MX and cross country but I think the ex would be better but I am not sure yet. right now I have a warrior what is set up pretty good.

Old 07-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

crhye250r,

I'm LMAO about your last post. At times, The Sensation and his Raptor is forced to eat some stock 400EX's roost, served on a silver platter by the mighty BT. At Echo Valley, the Raptor might have an edge on the stock EX, but,...with BT behind the bars, there's little chance of that.

Old 07-09-2001, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah until the sensation eats it over the double before the finish line like he does everytime.

Old 07-11-2001, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

It was my Raptor that won at Echo Valley that "WC" was refering to. I was not riding it though. The two riders that were battling ride, and work together. The Raptor rider would push for a while then back off until the other rider, Yellow 400ex, would get near then push and pull away.

The reason the 400ex's could not stay with that Raptor was because it was lowered and widened, taking away the cornering advantage of the 400ex. There was another Raptor in that race that finished sixth. It was stock.

My Raptor raced the week before at a small sx style track and won also. But it was entered with the 250a class. My Raptor was in the 4stroke B class but there was only three so they mixed the class's. My Raptor finished second but pulled the holeshot both moto's and should have won but slid out twice letting the 250r by. He could have won but the R blocked him the final two laps. The other two 400ex finished at the back. One of them got lapped.

The Raptor modified is a different machine than the stock version. Its only drawback modified is still the weight. I had mine stripped but still was a handfull.

By the way I sold my Raptor yesterday. I think I will stick too dirtbikes. They are easier to throw around.

It still boils down to the rider. The Raptor power or the 400ex handling are not enough to overcome a good rider on the opposite quad.

Old 07-12-2001, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

KYRaptor, was your Raptor Blue, with TCS Shocks, and LSR Aarms??

Old 07-12-2001, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

KyRaptor,

I remember seeing your Raptor out there at Echo Valley. It was setup really nice. With the wider stance and shock setup your Raptor had, a lot more of the 660's power could be put to the ground. Also, do you know who those riders were? We might know them from the track.

Just a note, we know the rider of the black and white Raptor that you mentioned. He's a pretty good friend of crhye250r and I. That's who we were joking about in our earlier posts. We just give him some crap sometimes cause he's a riding buddy, and my competition [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. He's actually a good rider, and normally finishes pretty well when he can keep everything on his quad working properly.

Quick Reply: Better MX quad