ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

CONVINCING PARENTS TO RACE

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I recently convinced my parents to let me race and I raced one then I raced again at High Point where I got hurt and had to be life-flighted. I am better and I want to race again and they are back to hating it even more than before. My question is what can I do to get them back to letting me race.

-JOHN FAHEY
1988 HONDA 250R

Old 07-10-2001, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Wow. Terrible Luck. I wish i could help. Try this. Tell them that street bike, ATV, and Dirt Bike accidents all totaled up, equal 1/3 of the injurys in just football in one year. I read that somewhere i think.

Old 07-10-2001, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Being both a parent (too young to race yet) and a MX racer, I may be able to offer some advice.

I will not sugar coat it, but it may tough even impossible, to get them to let you race again.

Before our accident your parents may have viewed racing as somthing that makes you happy and gives you something to care about other than getting in trouble. But once you are hurt, let alone life star out, the racing is somthing that could seriously hurt you or even cause death. No parent would ever want that to happen to their child.

If you are serious about racing again, it will take some time convincing your parents. Somehow you must show them that the benfits of a child racing outweigh the risks. Until you can do that it may be a lost cause.

Start by addressing the reason for your crash. Why did you crash? Was the blame completely on another rider? Or did you make a poor judgment call attempting a jump? Once you have the true reason, discuss it with your parents. If you had something to do with the cause, explain that to your parents. Admitt you went over your head, if that happened.

If your parents see as responsible enough to admitt your error and learn from the mistakes, they may feel a little more at ease. In any event, don't rush it. The scare your parents had is something you will not understand until you have your own child and they get hurt. Let the wounds heal both inside yourself and with your parents.

Old 07-11-2001, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

My parents were thinking about getting me a sport quad a few years ago, but my mom thought I would get hurt! My dad didn't care, but she did... Now, my dad dosen't like it, but my mom's fine. If you show enough responsibility, and ride safe, they SHOULD let you ride again! I think i would just make sure to express how much you love to do it..

Old 07-11-2001, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man, well I had to convince my parents to let me ride again also. In march I broke my back jumping my atv. It sucked, I stayed home and my mom said I would never ride again. Of course I got my dad into riding and he talked my mom letting me ride again. So in june I am doing just as much as I was before the accident. They happen and all it takes is time. Everyone that I ride with has wrecked at least one time. Thats why it is so fun.