ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

fast MX turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i missed my first race [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] due to not being ready , but the next time i will be ready , anyways my question is how do i go fast around MX track turns . I was told by a few people who ride with me that i have to learn how to take them on the MX track , normally i slide the backend and just pin it . i was told if i tried that on the track i would flip ! well , how do you guys go around the turns ?

Old 07-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

First of all...
You probably won't flip using the method of cornering you described as long as you lean into the turn, however, you won't be getting around the corner half as fast as you should.
Let me explain...
Sliding your backend around the corner with the throttle pinned isn't always the fastest way to get around a corner. In order to get in and out of the corner fast you need the most traction possible. Good cornering (on a 2-stroke) requires a lot of throttle and clutch control. Holding it pinned will usually just spin the tires. If you ride a 4-stroke, good throttle control is just as important, but slipping the clutch usually isn't necessary.
Body positioning and braking...
are also very important. You want to hold it pinned as long as possible when heading towards the corner, then, pull in the clutch and slam on your rear brakes at the last second, all the while staying over the front of your quad and leaning into the corner. When done correctly, you can slide most of the corner with your rear brakes locked up. About 3/4 the way out of the corner, you wanna start slipping the clutch (on a 2-stroke) or rolling on the throttle (on a four-stroke).

All in all...
cornering requires a lot of practice. You have to know your quad like the back of your hand. And you basically want to keep as much momentum going into the corner as possible, and slide near the back of your bike and get as much rear traction as possible when exiting the corner. Practice, practice, practice. I hope I've helped any.

Old 07-15-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

THanks for the info i will try it that way and like you said practice . thanks again