ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Lonestar A-Arms??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told you disassembly was the worst part. I bought a tool from auto-zone to take ball joints out. It clamps around the spindal or what ever you put it on. Then you tighten down a bolt that runs straight through the middle. Tighten the bolt down pretty tight. Then just whack the top of the bolt with a hammer. After a few tries it pops out of the spindal. Keep in mind that if you tear up any of the stock ball joint studs it doesnt matter. You wont reuse them anyway. DO NOT DESTROY THE TIE ROD BALL JOINTS!! You will reuse those. But those are easy to get to and pop out. Juat take your time and be careful. You may can take your spindals to a machine shop up there and get them to ream the holes for you. It would probably be cheaper than buying a reamer to use one time! Call around and see what they quote you.
About the whole Swan thing. I promised Hale at the gate I would let him around to leave the pack. So, I got the holeshot. So, I let him (and everyone but BIG D EMT) around. I went in the second sweeper way to hot. I hit the fence pinned in fourth or fifth. I would not have been so bad just hitting the chain link. The chain link acted like a sling shot and sent me right into the 3" pipe. Jacked me and my quad all up. I am out a frame, a arms, beadlock, tires, rear brakes, hubs, nerf bars, jersey, helmet, and gloves. I got stitches inside my arm and outside. Stitches in my chin. I dislocated my thumb. Pulled the muscles in my shoulder. Pulled the muscles down the left side of my leg. Got a gnarly case of whiplash. And to top it off I broke my jaw in 2 places. Needless to say I got to spend all day sunday at Mother Francis hospital in Tyler. But they were really nice to me. You know how doctors and nurses here the phrase "I was in a motorcycle accident" usually leaves them with no simpathy. Well, they were super nice to me and my wife. If you need anymore help send me an e-mail. It is easier that way. Take it easy!

Old 07-26-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

I really doubt that the dual rates are going to work. Valving and aarm trajectory seems to play a big part in Works shocks. Ex. My friend has LS a-arms and triple rates that were set for stock aarms. They bottomed out like crazy on jumps. He was sending them back for revalving and cans, so we thought we would try my dads triple rates on there since he was bigger and had them set for his weight. 145 lbs. versus 220 lbs. Not even close to working with the angle that the extended aarms take. He sent them back and they work beautifully now. The valving isn't much, and they can add the xtra spring for very little. It's worth the money to go ahead and do it right the first time. If you buy the fully adjustable aarms, be prepared to get some help or end up ready to burn it instead. It's definitely a chore to set everything. But really sweet when it's right.

Old 07-26-2001, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure where else to get the brake lines for that cheap, but I think the brake lines that Vito's sell are Russell Performance brake lines. Click on that link and try getting a hold of them. You may be able to buy some brake lines directly from them for the price Vito's is selling them. If not, go ahead and buy from Hy-Tech. And about the shocks, I'd contact Works and ask them what they thought. Ask them what they charge for a revalve. Hope I've helped.

Old 07-26-2001, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey CT, all I can say is.. ouch. Yeah, Mother Francis is a really good hospital. My growth plate(hip) slipped out, and I told them it was from jumping my quad.. they were like.. Oh, Well, you're the 1st to do that on a quad. They really care about their patients.. I've had 3 surgeries there.. and recommend them if you are going to be in for a while.

Anywayz, I guess I'll have to take my pipes off, just to take my arms off.. I don't want to, but it appears that way. Also, when I get the LSRs on, how can I make sure they're aligned? Also, I just put the nut back on the spindal bolts, and spun them on just enough so I wouldn't ruin the bolt and nut, and tapped it with a hammer. It worked fine. I'll take it to a machine shop, and my racing buddy works there, so I will get him to ream it. Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-27-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I really did it this time!! Took my headers off, so I could get to my tie rods, and upper A arm bolts.. Well, my riding buddy screwed the nut on.. but not far enough.. and he hit it with the hammer. Well, It stripped some of the threads on my bolt.. So now, Looks like Ronnie's will get $30 off me too!

Old 07-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

quadmxer, I went to the website.. and saw all the brake lines. Now all i need to know is.. How should I lengthen them?/ What length should I get? Also, will the stock ends work on those lines? Thanks for the link.. Just one step closer!

Old 07-29-2001, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

lonestarbanshee,
How's it been going? Haven't seen you much at BADLANDS. I haven't been on the internet much lately. Been working alot. Hey, if you need some help getting your bike all lined up, let me know. I think you told me that you live in Winnsboro, not that far away from Sulphur Springs. Call me if you need some help....(903-439-4767.)

Old 07-29-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Corey.. How's it going man? What do you mean haven't seen me?? I've been at every race! Well, no, I haven't been practicing at all.. Just go out and race. Lately I've been getting top 3, and the guy with the Black/White Raptor won last night.. What sucks is, I'm always ahead of him, and my bike's torn up. Man, if you haven't been out there, you HAVE to go practice. They have thrown two HUGE camelbacks in there.. They're easy, probably 3rd gear. Hey man, do you happen to have any pics of me from the day at practice?? I think I've got the A-Arm thing straightened out, but thanks! If I need some more help, I"ll be sure to give you a call!

Old 07-30-2001, 02:19 AM
Trailblazer

Lonestarbanshee,
Sorry, I went outta town. Ummm, about the brakelines. Have you talked to Russell Performance? Call them and tell them you have a Banshee with Lonestar +2" a-arms and they'll send you the right lines. The lines come with ends and (I'm sure) everything you need to bolt them up. When I got my brakelines (they were Russell Performance) they came with all the necessary hardware and I didn't need anything extra. They bolted right up.

Important: Just remember that when you get the new brakelines on that you refill your brake resevoir and bleed your brakes before you hit the track again. That would suck to grab your brakes and not stop. If you don't know how to bleed your brakes, say so... I've done it quite a few times.

Old 07-30-2001, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hey quadmxer, I think I know how.. But could you run it by me again? A shop in my town said that they would put a fitted 2" steel line on it, and then get my connecters on. So I will run those until I get the Russel's. Thanks for the tip!!

mx400exer, are you racing in the full moon series?

Quick Reply: Lonestar A-Arms??