ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

ATV Racing help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 10:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI I was at the mx races last week. There was only one Suzuki out there (LT250R) and he got second. Ahead of an entire slew of 400EX's and a few Banshees. Just because you've never seen one raced doesn't mean it can't be done. You admit that you have never ridden one and say you don't bag on them and then proceed to do it anyway. The stock suspension wasn't very good but who races motocross with stock suspension? You can get the same aftermarket shocks for them that you can get for any other quad. And as far as that goes most people consider the stock suspension on the quadzilla the best ever put on a stock quad in that era, yes even above the 250R. Look, the 250R is the best mx machine, but the LT250R is a darn good one as well and they are dirt cheap. Don't think like I'm attacking you quadmxer70 because I'm not. It just frusterates me because the Quadracers seem to get no respect from anyone and the main reason for that is people who have never ridden them badmouth them all the time. And I don't think that's right.

Old 08-03-2001, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Zillaman,
I read my reply over and over... You say << You admit that you have never ridden one and say you don't bag on them and then proceed to do it anyway. >> Go back and read my latest reply once more... I only told you what others have told me and how many Suzuki's I've seen race mx (none). I know in my first reply I listed the machines that I thought weren't good for mx and the LT was included, but that is based completely on what I have heard about them. I didn't bag on your machine. It seems to me you are really worried about your machine getting more respect... That's lame. It's just a quad, and who cares what others think about a certain quad anyway. You think it's a good machine and that's all that matters. Everytime I go to the dunes I get surrounded by Banshee riders and told how Banshees rule and whoop on 250Rs. It doesn't bother me... That shouldn't bother anyone. (Oh, and don't feel like I'm attacking you... I'm not mad at anybody. But I think it's lame when people are so worried about their quad getting more respect. It's just a machine.)

My best advice to the originator of this topic is to ride all of the machines you can think of, and then decide for yourself.

Old 08-07-2001, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

It all depends on you! You can find 250r's..lt250's...banshees...250x's...300ex's...bl aster..tecate4's...warrior's and sometimes the occasional lt500 for under $2500-$3000.most o the time already set up. It all depends on what you like...i hate banshees. But i know guys that wont ride anything but. put those guys on a 250r/400ex and they cant ride em. blasters seem cramped to me ...but a buddy of mine (6feet 3inches tall) loves his. you are used to 2 strokes so i would get a lt250...250r..or banshee just look in the cycle trader for one last week a '88250r went for $1200 completely stock so you can fnd deals on em everywhere. ride em and see..by the way my 300ex is for sale =)

Old 08-09-2001, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Hey dont let these guys discourage you on the LT250R! Its a great machine that can be purchased rather cheaply. with little work can be very competitive with the TRX or Banshee and definitly beat any 4 stroke! I speak from experience as I am a LT250 Owner! stay away from 85-86 but 87 and up great machines. I personally like the 88 or 89. The 87 has a different intake port that you can only by limited after market reed valves. The 90 and up has a differnt swingarm and rear shock setup that can not be lowered if needed.(flattrack) doesnt need to be lowered though for MX.If I was rich$$ I would get the TRX for sure but since I am poor and racing cost alot of $$$ I went with the LT250R with no disapointments.I also do little MX with the same bike although my porting is for Top end.To tell you the truth its 95% rider and 5% machine.Whatever you get it is possible to win on anything ,you just have to learn your machine and be very aggresive. I was always losing in the beginning till I learned my machine and learned from watching other riders style. then I got a aggresive riding style and they are always behind me now. at least more times than not. we all make mistakes sometimes.

check my web page.
Casey's racing web page

Old 08-12-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

i'm with kdog on this, the LT can be modded & be just as competitive for less. 85-86 are not as fast in any way, the later years are very fast. '87-92 front suspension is all the same aftermarket a-arms & shocks will fix most factory problems, 91-92 has more frame gusseting in the front suspension area from the factory. 87 had different porting and reed valve than the '88-92 engines(more parts are available). '87-90 had the same rear suspension(same geometry as the '85-86 too), '91-92 made the rear suspension linkage more like a modern MX bike, better for MX, but it isn't as easily lowered for TT & flat track. the only real bad about the '87-92 that i've found is the chain/axle adjustment... which is fixed with a laegers or lonestar swingarm & bearing carier (one of my future mods)

as for most of the other quads listed, i've ridden a few of them and still like my LT more.

i have a '91 LT that i have modded for racing, but haven't made it to the track much(budget & time). i use it for woods & dunes riding mostly when i get the chance.

try to ride as many of the machines you listed & go with what fits your riding style and budget the best.

Old 08-12-2001, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

quadracers are ok for MX but every1 is right 250r's are best. it takes a lot of skill to know how to ride the suzuki right. its different from riding an R or a 400EX. you have to own one for a while to understand. but after u get the hand of it you can do pretty good on it. the best part is you can get a nice one for cheap. also tecate 4's can be made to MX pretty good. with extended axle and a-arms they handle a lot better.