ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

ATV Racing help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is pretty stupid, but i really want some good opinions and im trying to provide as much information to get the best opinion i possibly can.

I've ridden fourwheelers since i was 5, then i switched over to dirtbikes when i was 12, and have been ridin them since, i never have raced, let alone set foot on a motocross track... i've always been viewed as a good trail rider around here, and i have done quite a lot of technical trail riding... id say that ive ridden in just about every condition there is around here ( i ride in horrible weather all the time, i think it helps you become a better rider by being able to deal with very unpredictable conditions, that way - when it happens, you'll know what to do in that particular situation out on the trail in the future. ) Im very interested in ATV Racing, and there are quite a lot of MX tracks around here - but not so many gncc's (i think theres only one around here..) so i guess i'll have to mx race a quad if im gonna race..

im about 5'6", 15 yrs old, and i weigh approx. 140 pounds... i guess i would call my riding skill level intermediate, and i've owned twostroke dirtbikes (an RM80 last year and KX125 this year) for a while now, i'm pretty used to the maintainence required and the cost of upkeep, plus the type of power delivery and riding techniques required... yet i have never ridden a 2 stroke ATV. Im currently selling my KX125 in hopes of buying a quad to race, but i dont know very much about particular ATV's (i mean like their power delivery, handling characteristics, aftermarket parts availability - etc etc.) of these atv's, which would be easiest to modify, cheaper to maintain (i know the fourstrokes will get that), best suited to mx racing, handling characteristics, stability, etc. etc., and since these are in a the almost 3 grand price range - i dont have much to work with like banshees, 250r's, 400ex's, raptors, etc etc. The list is as follows: Kawasaki Tecate4, Suzuki (87-92 model) LT250r, Yamaha Blaster, Honda 300ex, and Yamaha Warrior. Your opinions and suggestions will be appreciated.
thanks
Trin

Old 07-31-2001, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Dude don't even waste your time on a Tecate 4 or LT250, fact is there are no pro's racing them so that should tell you something. Any way aftermarket parts are hard to find for those models. Now I'm telling you this from experience, forget the Warrior, its to heavy and you have to dump way to much money into it to get it set up and running. I would definitly try to save up and get the 400ex, but I have seen some Rad 300ex's that freakin rock. Again its on how much you want to spend. First choice would be the Honda 250R, but the 400ex is a nice bike on the track. Well hope this helped some. Oh by the way, the banshee is ok but again alot of money and much heavier on the tracks, and it does not handle as well as the Honda's.

later

Old 07-31-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Wait a sec...your recommending a 300ex over an Lt250r for mx? what are you smokin'? Seriously, I want some. J/k. While the lt250r doesn't have as good of suspension geometry as a trx250r or 400ex, and while amerature MX is MUCH more rider than machine, and an lt250r IS better for mx that a 300ex. I always see lt250r's at the track where I ride, and they keep up fine, and most amerature racers wouldn't notice much between an LT and a TRX. I'd say go for the LT, they are redally availible, and have many modifications availible, while having good power in stock form (more than a Trx250r) Bottom Line: Go for the LT.

Old 07-31-2001, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

I'm gonna have to go with SandTraxx on this one. If you are serious about racing, you really should save up and get a 250R, 400EX, or Banshee (and in that order). I know I'm gonna get hammered for saying the other quads you mentioned (like the Warrior, Blaster, LT250R, Tecate 4, and 300EX) are not good motocross machines at all, but I have ridden most of those quads and that is my oppinion. Don't get me wrong, those are very good sport/trail/recreational quads, but when it comes to racing motocross, they just don't cut it. If the 250R, 400EX, and Banshee is just too much money for you, I'd go with the Blaster or 300EX. These machines can be easily modified (with enough money) to be decent motocross quads, but usually after you've bought that Big Bore 240 kit, a-arms, axle, and suspension for your Blaster, you say to yourself, "I could have bought a 250R with as much money I've spent on my Blaster." Like I said, I know I'm gonna get hounded for "capping" on those other machines, but if you really want to get into motocross, save up for the right machine. You won't regret it.

Old 07-31-2001, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

I race the Mid Atlantic races and I would have to say there are far and away more 250Rs than any other quad. They really are a great race quad. The biggest problems with them are that they are old and if you dont buy one that has been kept up you will be doing alot of wrenching, and the other problem is they are generally pretty expensive even ones that appear to be pretty junky are still priced at like $2500 and more.

The biggest reason I bought my 400EX was because it was somewhat close to the 250R in handling and it was brand new. I wanted my money to go towards improving my quad not repairing it. However, now that I am in a little different financial situation I find myself wanting a 250R. Dont get me wrong I plan to keep my 400EX it is a great bike with tons of mods, but still there is just something about those 250Rs.

Also there is nothing cheap about modifying a 4 stroke motor. If you look at Sparks Racing's prices it is almost costs twice as much to modify an EX over an R.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 07-31-2001, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 250rampage, I was only recommeding the 300ex because of the budget issue. A lt250 may be a good bike but your looking at more cost to setup and mainain than a 300ex. And yes I would still pick a 300ex over a LT250, a friend of mine has one that is setup for MX and it is a fun bike to ride.

Old 07-31-2001, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

You do have a good point with the maintainance costs, but for MX I still believe a lt250r is a better choice. Sure, you can mod a 300ex to be a really sweet mx bike, but take that same amount of cash and dump it into an lt, and you'll get an equally cool bike. Also, with the maintainance, It should be noted that on a race modded four-stroke, the oil and filter need to be changed very often, along with having the valves adjusted, whereas as 250r will need a new top end once or twice a season. These are just my views...

Old 07-31-2001, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I'm with 250rampage on this one. Everyone always dogs the LT250R, especially Honda guys. Come on, it's a WAY better mx machine than a Banshee. The Banshee is extremely nose heavy and the power is way to peaky for mx riding in my mind. It's not a good mx chassis, especially in stock form. The TRX250R is handsdown the best mx machine if you can find a good one in your price range. I have an intrusting suggestion though, have you ever considered a LT500R? The motor in relativly stock form is great for mx riding. It's not peaky or scary like most people who have never ridden one seem to think. In a lot of ways it has the low end grunt and lugging power that actually feels like a big 4-stroke. Then you can let her rip on the top end too. It' like having the best of both worlds. If you did consider it though don't buy one just because it's cheap, make sure it has been carefully maintained. Just a little suggestion that I thought I'd pass on. Good luck with whatever you get.

Old 08-01-2001, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer

I can honestly say that I have never ridden a Suzuki quad in my life... So, I don't bag on them. But I also know that I have honestly never seen anyone win a mx race on a Suzuki let alone seen anyone race a Suzuki at all. I was always told the LT250R and LT500 were great drag quads, but that was it. I was told that they hold a straight line well, but don't cut it when it comes to racing motocross (suspension and handling wise). I have, however, seen people race 300EX's and finish pretty decently. That and the fact that I am a 'Honda' guy would make my first choice out of the 'lesser expensive' quads the 300EX, and then a Blaster because I did own a Blaster before my 250R.

Back to the point... I'd save up for the 250R, 400EX, or Banshee. Why the Banshee over the LT250? Only because I have seen many Banshees race motocross and do well. But, it is a lot more expensive than the LT.

Old 08-01-2001, 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well - i rode a fully tricked out 400ex today - it was about the slowest and weakest thing ive ridden - i mean - seriously - there was no power there -very weird... handled great tho - this kid i know put 8600 into it - and its just about the coolest lookin quad ive seen in a while, but its SLOW! and no power what-so-ever... i think he has it set up weird... maybe he's just a more agressive rider - who knows... anyway - i rode a banshee today, i didnt like it - too nose heavy, and too peaky - i have yet to ride a quadzilla, lt250r, 250r, tecate 4, or a blaster... ive ridden 300ex's a lot, but they seem kind of wimpy for mx racing... mostly what im concerned with (in no particular order) is amount of power, power delivery, reliability, (the budget remember guys), handling is lower on the list, and suspension action is pretty important (im used to very choppy action anywhere but off of jumps - remember guys i ride a motocross dirtbike - lol) - umm - i dont know what else to say (i would go out and ride al lot of these quads, but after modifications, the characteristics will most likely be much different - as that 400 was, - before when i rode it - it was MEAN, wheelies all over, but now its torquey... maybe im just more used to twostroke type power delivery) - i hope this helps some
thanks
Trin
(oh - btw - thanks a lot for the opinions, they are helping a lot)

Quick Reply: ATV Racing help...