ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

HELP The r is down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was riding tonight at a friends practice track and my 250r was bogging pretty bad, kinda like it wanted to flood out. Well, I kept on riding thinking that it was no biggie, then over a big tabletop when I landed it just bogged and sputtered out like it was flooded or something. Then When I went to kick it back to life, it wouldnt start and didnt really sound like it was getting a spark at all. So I pulled the plug and it was fouled. Then When I put in a new plug it started but only for like 2 seconds then died, and wouldnt start again. I thought maybe for some reason it fouled another plug so I pulled the plug and it was like brand new. So I checked for a spark and I had one. So I put the plug back in and it fired for anohter 2 seconds and died. I pulled the plug same thing, good plug and a spark, put it back in, same thing, start for 2 seconds then die.
We thought maybe the floats were stuck or something and it was just flooding out, so I took it home and took off the carb and took it all apart but it seemed to be working fine. I havent gotten the carb back in yet, but will do it tomorrow.
Anyone got any ideas on what the problem may be? I wish that I did, but I really havent the foggiest idea.

P.S. Will the stock carb work for a LRD 265 top end? I have one on order that should be here next week and just tonight thought that I may need a new carb. If so, what do you guys recommend?
Thanks

Old 08-09-2001, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

check your compression.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

I would check your reeds. My Zilla did something similar to what you are discribing and that's what it was. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I will check my reeds this afternoon. As far as the compression thing goes, I dont know what I was running before. A couple of the guys I was riding with kicked it a few times and said they thought it didnt have much compression at all, I didnt notice a drop in compression over normal. I think the reason that they thought it was low is cause 2 of them are riding LRD 300r's and one is riding a 350rx which both obviously have more compression than a 250r bored over a little bit.
If I get it back running I will be sure and check the compression and note it for next time.

If I did lose compression, what would be the problem?

Thanks

Old 08-09-2001, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I second the reed problem. My R started doing the same thing and it turned out to be bad reeds.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

<< If I did lose compression, what would be the problem? >>

If you did lose compression that means that you probably melted your piston. It doesn't really sound like that though. A R like yours should PROBABLY be running on about 125psi or so of compression. If it's much below 100psi then you may have problems. I think a 250 2-stroke needs about 75-80psi to run. As far as the carb issue goes with your 265cc LRD cylinder depending on how it's ported may require more air to be fed to it than your stock carb can deliver. I would call LRD and ask them. They always seem helpful and nice to deal with.

Old 08-09-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ok,

I havent yet checked my reeds, but I did call the guy who usually works on my quad and talked to him. He told me that the reeds were a possibility but very unlikely. He said that it may have gotten fuel in the bottom end or else it may have broken a flywheel key and that is what wont let it run long. He also said it may have scarred the piston, he thought since it still had compression it probably didnt melt the piston down.

I am going to go ahead and pull my motor tonight since I have that new top end coming anyway, I will check the reeds for sure. What I really wanted to know was how the hell it would get fuel into the bottom end? A blown gasket or some other way? He said that I should take off the exhaust pipe and spark plug and kick it over and see if any gas comes out the exhaust valve, if so then I should turn it upside down and kick it over until all the fuel was out. Which makes sense but how did it get there if it really is there? The only thing I could think of was a blown gasket somewhere, but then I couldnt really think of any gaskets between where the fuel goes in and the bottom end.
Thanks a lot!

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2001, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

I don't know how you would have gotten fuel in the bottom end either, or how it would make your quad do what it is doing if you did? I have never heard anything like that before. The flywheel key thing is a definent posibility though. I can't believe I didn't think of that since it has happened twice to me in the past.

Old 08-10-2001, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Rhino99, Dude if you are running a 265 kit, you should be running a 38mm Air Striker...you can get it from LRD. That is probably not your problem, but a stock carb is not enough. I run a 265 Curtis Sparks kit.

later
Good Luck
Sandtraxx[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

I dont have the LRD 265 yet, it should be here the end of next week. So, that isnt my problem for sure, I was just wondering if I would need to order one or not. I will have to call LRD and get that coming with the top end as well.

As for the problem, well my reeds were ok when I pulled the motor and the piston wasnt scarred up either, so I am thinking its the flywheel thing. My mechanic is coming over tonight to check that out, so I will see soon enough. I am gonna go ahead and pull the top end off and check to see if there is fuel in the bottom end, and just leave it off till LRD sends me my new one.

Thanks for the help guys, I will keep ya posted on it.