ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Hey District 23 riders or any cross country racers, I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This winter I plan to start building a utility racer for the hare scramble events. I have 2 quads an 01 Kodiak 4x4 and a 00 Kodiak 4x2. What I will do is with the help of Four Stroke tech build a 500 cc big bore with a cam upgrade. Use works shocks front and rear and shave off as much weight as possible. What I am wondering is this. Is ther any advantage to running a 4x4 in these events? My 2wd is lighter and steers quicker in fact it runs circles around my 4x4 any day. I think the 2wd would really fly with these mods! But if there is an advantage to going with the 4x4 let me know. Also the other issue is this winter I will need my 4x4 for plowing and the 2wd will just sit anyway all winter (too cold for my wife to ride!) Also in Dist 23 what types of utilities commonly run these races and who wins. Im quessing a wolverine.

Old 10-17-2001, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

99% of the time a 2 wheel drive is perfect .get narrow ,run beadlocks,and get light , if it was me ied build a build a kawi650 ,they are setup great for xc......hope this helps ....~ biggy ~ 4th in quad points

Old 10-17-2001, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

The most important thing in XC racing is handling and control. All of the power in the world isen't going to save you when your arms give out 90 minutes into the race. Invest your money in tires and suspension and you'll be setup with a competitve machine. Last season a 250cc Artic Cat 2X4 machine won the utility title.

Think of it this way. As the race wears on. You tire more and more, but the coarse gets rougher and rougher. Handling saves you in the end.

Biggy,
Your 4th in points.......but don't forget to add that it's in the "B class".....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I think Orge ended up 5th in points. Nice season guys.

This season, I had a rough start at Monticello. Drownding my quad in the first river crossing and limping around to an 11th place finish. Round two at Millville got even worse. I tangled with a lapper and broke my wrist. I also fried the motor. The problems went even more downhill from there, and I didn't race another MX or XC envent the rest of the year. But hopefully next season will be more kind to me.

Chris
2001 Honda/Laeger/Pro Fab/Custom AXIS 365X MX machine
2000 Honda/Laeger/TC Racing/Custom AXIS 330EX XC machine
Minnesota District 23 MX and XC Racer #66 "A Class"
See ya at the races.......

Old 10-18-2001, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

not bitchen or nutten im supos to be running in a class ...but there is no people in A class only nate and lind are fast and they win everything ....thats not fun for me ...pay attention to the old times the b class is out running most of the A class of course after you take the min off....I run pro class in iowa and have been finishing in the top 3 next year they are making us run A class ..mostly because there is no A class ......there was 3 quads for A at akeley...if it is like that next year im not running ...ive been practicing mx and hitting a few races. It looks like that might be the ticket.

Old 10-18-2001, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not the one to point fingers, but you have no right to judge other rider's skills and abilities. In fact, more than a dozen D23 HareScramble racers have made claims about cheating during races. Cutting the course during the race is not legal!

Plus, if you feel that many of the "A class" riders are slow. Next year is a new season, and I challenge you to step up to the plate and race at that level.

As for D23 Motocross, I hope your prepared. It is nothing like racing a HareScramble, and unless you have a $20,000 dollar race quad. Expect to finish in the back of the pack. Very, very serious compitition in every class.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next season, and please. Respect fellow racers.

Chris

Old 10-18-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

I myself have raced both Harescrambles and Motocross in the district 23. I raced the first 23 hs of the season, monticello and millville. Then i raced a handfull of mx races towards the mid season. I would definatly have to say that Motocross is a completly differnt ball game. Its 20 minuits of nothing but pounding and the people are not so spread out. The potential between differnt riders is not so obvious in motocross, and everyone runs very fast. Its a completley differnt ball game sitting on the computer saying this or that, anyone that races on these forums knows that, hell i was there once, but once you set foot on the track, everything changes, all the b.s stops. Lets just see what happens next year shall we. Biggy-You should race in the "a" class next year, there is a reason they call one the "A" class and the other the "b" class. Trust me...every one of them 'a ' class riders deserves the credit, becuase they have earned it. Look at chris stark, he works harder then almost anyone else i know, he has a mindset that he will win, and i belive he will. I'm not sure what number in the points he is (bad year racing wise for him) but if anyone expects to get towards the front anywhere, be prepared to work your tail off at it!

Also biggy, wiht a 450ex and 650ds, your going to have to run the open class, the same class i ran with my ds this year, expect to run with some of the Lsr big bore banshees and big bore r's and some 440ex's. Things get fun out there

ryan
District 23 #82
440ex Lonestar, nacs, PEP, White Bro's and CT components

Old 10-18-2001, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I couldn't agree with Ryan more. To race in the front, you gotta be willing to work for it.

I have a feeling that next season is going to be a breakout year for Minnesota District 23 Quad Racing. I expect both rider turnout and talent to be very high.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

im not bashing any singled out person ..all im saying at the begining of the year anyone who wanted to race A class could ! there was no rules on getting in A class . as far as harescramble races being better next year ....I highly dought it ...no one wants to sponser them ...in 2000 millville had apox 65 wheelers signed up . this year there was 35 . and all the rest of the races had a very poor turn out .

I think i can handle mxing just fine . Im not plannig on winning only competeing getting out there and having fun . there seems to be a race every weekend for mxing ....it's nice to have a choice ...Im buying a differnt quad . my 450ex is setup for the woods ..not big air .. p.s if you know anyone with a 250r or modded 400ex for sale let me know it has to be mx ready ...