ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

I have an age question for the tpender

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of a rider that was at Loretta Lynn's last year that was only 14 BUT his parents faked his birth certificate and signed him up in the 4-stroke C class. I heard his parents are planning to let him race the C class this season. Stuff like this is bad for the sport, not to mention teaching their kids that it's ok to lie. What can be done to prevent this? Please help!!!

Old 02-21-2002, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The official way to do it is to have someone in that class file a protest and then I will check the birth cerf. At the race track I can only guess if is legal by looks. If they don't have one with them, I give them one week to mail or ups one to the ATVA office. If it is good, they keep the points. If bad at the race DQ and I file a report and it is out of my hands. The ATVA handles it.
Or, you can say something to me at the race and I will question that person about there age. This is what I had to do at a few races last year. The people at registration are the one's that are supposed to check ages during signup, but most of them are to busy doing the paper work of signing riders up.
I am just about ready to make every rider have to show a photo ID if they are racing in a age class of 16 or larger this year if people are going to make this an issuse about ages. I want to see people ride, but I have a rule book that I have to follow about ages. We tired to change the ages last year, but we were unsucessfull. It all comes down to insurance at the race track. If a promoter lets a rider ride under age and that rider gets hurt, there insurance for the race is canceled. That underage rider then can and will sue the promoter for everthing that they have.
People will talk about the age thing, but talk here is not going to get it changed. The people that you have to talk to is the people in the national gov. and untill that is down nothing is going to change.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you very much. You've been a help to so many racers in the forums. I think the photo ID would be the ticket to keep the age thing out of the mix. See ya in Macon!!!

Old 02-21-2002, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Should I be a xxxxxxx and make everyone show the ID when they come to signup?

Old 02-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I turn 30 this year and at some tracks in North Georgia, I have had to show my ID. I really didn't think much of it. Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't have a problem with showing ID for 16 and older classes. Look at it this way, I have to reach into my wallet for my AMA/ATVA card anyway, so it really isn't anymore of a hassle to grab my ID while I'm at it.

I think you did the right thing at rider's meeting Loretta by scolding the parents for faking their kids ID. My wife actually said "Man, he ain't playing around!" and you shouldn't. Keep it up Tom! This sport needs you.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

If an "under age" rider gets hurt but they lied about their age, and said they were 16, they can't sue can they? If the rider had to lie about his age, that means he knew that he "shouldn't" have been riding... according to the rules. I'm not saying I agree with the age rules. Honestly, I think if they lie about it, than they can't sue you for injuries. If thats the case, why don't you just let them ride?

Old 02-21-2002, 03:38 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

The age issue is a debate that could go on and on.

Tom- I dont think you should check id's at signup. But if you do it would not bother me. Maybe you could randomly check for id's. If you let people know you are going to do this I think it would turn most people away from fibbing about how old they are, but there will always be someone to try and get away with it.

Lurch- What class do you ride?

Trending Topics

Old 02-21-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

I ride the 4-stroke C class.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Just to show you how messed up the law is about riders under 18. If the parents are divorced and the father has the child. He rides in the correct age class and gets hurt. The other parent(mother) who did not sign can sue and can wait up till 3 years after that child reach's legal age in that state to sue. The court don't care if the child lied about there age or not, the promotor let them ride.
Like I wrote sometime ago. If a parent writes a piece of paper says that it is OK for his 14 year old to drive the car by himself becuse of his size.Later that child gets a speeding ticket or has a accident. How good is that piece of paper that the parent wrote out?

Old 02-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well thats some crap.

Quick Reply: I have an age question for the tpender