ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

building small track

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need help on building a small track. we have about 1-5 acres to work with. we have a bobcat, and i just wanna know what i should do for jumps and stuff. should we try to bury barrels or cars, or just pile up the dirt? we could get some dirt for free by our cabin. we are just gonna mainly use it for riding around ourselves, so do you guys think we should make any big jumps? how long do you think it should be?

Old 03-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

I built a track in my yard, Its about 3/4 of a mile with 20 or so jump including a 85' stepup and a bunch of doubles ranging from 15' to 50'. I tried barrels but they seemed to be a waste of time, they crushed way to easy. I ended up using cars for the big jumps. I change my track constantly and the cars are great becuse they move and stack easy, also you can reuse them. I flip them over, it seemed th work a lot better.

As far as how long to make the track and the size of jumps, that depends on YOU. You need to make it fun and safe for the riders.

When I first build my track it took up about 1 acer and the only jump was a 15' table top, now it 3 years and 5 more acers later and that table top is 45' and it is one of the easest jumps on the track. Another thing that I did was to make all doubles easy to roll so the less experianced riders are more comfortable.

Have FUN!

Old 03-05-2002, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

damn varmit sounds like a blast down there. me and my brother are going to have to come down there and rip it up with ya, never told me bout the step up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] hey check your icq, i think i added you to mine and i havent gotten a response back from ya.

Old 03-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

We have a track with only 2 jumps on it though, and we just used a dozer to dig down about 1/2 foot and used that dirt for the track.

Old 03-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

just dig on the sides of where your gonna make the jump and not only will it give you as much dirt as you need, it will also act a resivour(sp?)that will let the water flowout of the low spots for when there is alot of rain. another thing you can do is put little slashes or slits in the ground in the low spots that lead to the holes along side the jumps so you will have a nice clean track whenever you want to ride. cuz puddled in the middle of straits and turns really suck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

The best way to build a track without the use of heavy equipment (such as a dozer or loader), is to use a regular farm tractor and plow up the route of the track. Once the entire route is plowed, you will have plenty of dirt there to pile up with your Bobcat. If you have access to a disc, disc it after plowing to get the soil down to a finer state.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a question guys: I can't get dirt too easily around my house. Though I can get some, not enough for the practice track I want. I was thinking about using huge logs for filler in my table top and even the larger doubles. Do you think they would work? The logs were dumped from huge trees cleared, being about two to three feet in diameter and about fifteen twenty feet long. Laying this long ways across the width of the track I thought about piling dirt on top and using them at least for the doubles. Kind of like using a concrete drain pipe as I've seen on some tracks. Is this a good idea or no?

Old 03-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

I think that any thing big will work. I tried to use old rail road ties and they were more hassle then they where worth. If the logs are that big and you have the equipment to move them that is great. When I'm building jumps I start with a pile of dirt that is about twice as big as the jump that I want and when I get it packed down it is about right.