ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

250R Shocks and A-Arms? Which ones? From Who??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dadI love my Jd performance's.Like I said my buddy had leager's and my JD's where alittle more adjustable.All the welds are perfect.The only downfall is that the ball joints and bearings where the bolt goes through the frame don't have zerks.So U have to keep those lubed up.I know U want this so maybe these are not for U.I really love mine.

So far I happy with my shocks.They are definitly better than stockers and works.But on one jump at the track that I race at I bottom everytime.This is a 5th gear pinned downhill jump that U land on an upslope.So it is pretty crazy.I rode my buddies bike and he had custom axis's and they where so freakin awesome.I couldn't believe it.I will definitly go with them next R I build.

I heard that a guy that worked for leagers started JD performance.So I have not heard anything about lonestar.

Dirt wheels did a test on JD performance A-arms about a year ago.So maybe check that out or at

www.jdperformanceatv.com

Old 03-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Range Rover

Lonestarbanshee,

I would strongly recommend the Elka's. I have rarely dealt with a company that produces a finer product or that takes better care of their customers. I am currently running a set of their fully adjustable fronts and a reworked rear on my 400EX. The quality of construction is second to none and the performance is outstanding. I've ridden on Works, TCS, Custom Axis, and the Elka's are as good or better than all of them.

If you do decide to purchase Elka's you will do yourself a big favor to call them directly in Canada. Martin and the rest of the guys there are some of the best people I've ever worked with in this industry. They will take the time to make sure that you get the right shocks and will be there for you when you need support. The only thing that may throw you off at first is that they answer the phone in French (they're in Quebec), but they speak perfect English too!

Feel free to email me with any questions. I rarely go out of my way to promote a company like this, but these guys are truly the best.

Regards,

Dennis

hinesdm@hotmail.com

Old 03-27-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

TCS Shocks are using the Elka bodies and upgrading them. I have the old works bodies TCS fronts and even they are awesome, with my new Elka body rear, there is just no comparison. I think that you would be very happy with the TCS shocks, I have NEVER bottomed them, have bottomed my frame, but never the shocks. With the 5/8" shafts they have to be even better! As for PEP, they make their own bodies, in fact their internals are MUCH different than works or Elka. They use some sort of shim stacks to move the fluid or something, I read a description of how they worked once but dont quite remember, either way, its way different than any of the others you are considering.
Go with any of them, TCS, Elka or PEP and you will be VERY happy. However, my friend who races National open A class told me the other day he wished he had a set of TCS shocks, and right now hes running PEP ZPS.

Old 03-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

I just got my Elka Triple Rates w/ Rezzys in the the mail yesterday, the quality is awesome, I got them through www.c&dracing.com in about three weeks, I haven't mounted them up yet because I am still waiting for my A-arms. I ordered +2+1 250R A-arms from a new company called Herrmann Racing, They are a wild looking design, all chromoly, TIG-welded, and powdercoated in any color. They gave me an awesome deal since they are new and trying to get their product out to the public. It took about three weeks to get them. Check out their website: www.herrmannracing.com

Old 03-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

I'm running TCS 'SCS' shocks (front and rear) and I love them. After a full season of racing, I thought maybe I needed to upgrade to something better (like PEP or Custom AXIS), but I had them rebuilt about 2 weeks ago and that's all they needed. New oil, gas, and seals, and they're like brand new again. I'm glad I bought them... they were great for the money. ELKA shocks are pretty good, too. You won't go wrong with either TCS or Elka shocks.

I'm running JD Performance a-arms, and for $445, they were well worth it. JD Performance is very friendly and you don't have to wait months to get your a-arms. I'm sure Arens makes a good set of a-arms, but if they are as slow at shipping out their a-arms as they are their frames, you'll be waiting forever.
------------
Bottom Line:
Shocks - TCS or Elka
A-arms - JD or Houser
(and I'd also recommend a no-link rear setup.)

Old 03-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Does JD's have a web site? If so what is it? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

I listed them web-site at the end of my last post.But here it is again.

www.jdperformanceatv.com

Old 03-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I was checking out JD's website. They seem to be a really good company. I really like the option they give you of sending your arms back for an inspection, and powdercoating. Now if it was only free.. I suspect I will be giving them a call soon. The A-Arms I would buy are $620 though.($445 plus $175 chroming)

I also looked at Lonestars website. Same steel as JD and all the rest. What makes LSR so much better? I understand they have the "good" name, but quantity doesn't always equal quality.

If it wasn't for all of the Elka praises, I would go with PEP in a heartbeat. I would like to hear from someone with the 5/8" shaft TCS's.

I hate to babble on, but over $2000 is somewhat important in my category.(financail wise at the least) Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

<< PaRoostR

Are you asking if they use ELKA'S body or are you saying that they do?
I believe TCS makes their own, but I could be mistaken. They may very well use ELKA'S.
Regardless,it is well built and stands up to abuse.

Just one guy's opinion.
>>

I was saying that as a statement and I am very sure they use them… They previously had been using works bodies.

Old 03-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude if you want some of the trickest new a-arms around you need to check out the following site.never have you seen a-arms like this. check it out.trick a-arms for your 250r,400ex,or banshee

Quick Reply: 250R Shocks and A-Arms? Which ones? From Who??