ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

PRO's eh?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The pro class this weekend consisted of Tim Farr,Shane Hitt,Keith Little,Cory Ellis,Mike Walsh,Dave Diver,Jimmy Elza,and Nathan Dallas.Other rookie pro's were Darren Ogden,Jackie Meadows,Brad Covington,Chad Lohr,and Chris Bartholomew
BUT,,,WHERE WAS THE OTHER "so called" pro's?? Doug Gust,Ben Jackson,Joe Byrd,John Natalie,Jason Luburgh,Dana Creech,Tavis Cain,Matt Bartosek,and MOST OF ALL,,where is our "supposed champ" Jeremiah Jones???
Home wishing they had the speed of Shane Hitt,the true skill of Tim Farr,and the guts of the others that did show up,I suspect
But, having been out there myself,I can understand how comming into a corner,at 70+ MPH can really scare you,I suspect fear to be another aspect holding some back.I do know for the younger rookie pro's that money is a concern.
I could think of alot of words to explain the lack of pro's at the TT's,the two that I will use is pittyfull and pathetic!Especially Jeremiah Jones!!Hope ya get another flat.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Doug said himself that he didn't like TT racing. Said it was a "lazy man's race" and if you got the holeshot, you more than likely won the race.

Honestly, I don't think flat trackin would be to much fun either.... I haven't tried it but I like the big air of MX.

Old 07-15-2002, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wish we had even a little bit of your caliber of racing here in California. We haven't had a national TT in years. We have a little bit of TT racing here and there at local fairgrounds, but nothing that I read or see that you guys have back east. But enough of my crying maybe you could help me out LT 80 on a few TT questions. I just started racing my Banshee locally and was wondering whats the deal with the correct width to run in the back? I have a Dura Blue X-33 that I run all the way wide +4, but I have seen some people with the same axle running it in one hole, +2. Is wider better, or not? I have a shorter swingarm but sometimes it still seams I'm just frying my tires. Any info would be greatly appreicated for an Amateur TT racer like myself.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not into TT racing much either... I can see why some of those pros didn't show up. A lot of the TT national tracks are set up where who ever gets the holeshot pretty much wins. Sure, I give respect to you guys that race TT, but not everyone likes it. Some riders think motocross is much more of an adrenaline rush than TT racing... You may go into a corner at 70 on TT but you can't clear 80 foot doubles 15 feet above the ground unless you're racing motocross. And if you even think for a second that riders like Doug Gust, Joe Byrd, John Natalie, Dana Creech, and Jeremiah Jones were scared of racing TT, you're smoking way too many doobies.

Old 07-16-2002, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Titman, I will give my insight into your TT troubles. Unlike the Pontiac commercial, wider is not always better. There are a bunch of factors that play into getting the right amount of traction to go fast. The narrower your axle is the more traction you will get. If the track is loose then a narrower axle will help, but if it is tacky then a wider axle is better. The same with your tire size, a 10x8 tire will get more traction than a 10x10 tire. It also depends on the compound of your tire. You have the right idea by shortening your swingarm. And if you don't already have a swaybar, I would suggest getting one. It greatly improves handling. I hope this helps you out or atleast gets you on the right track to improvement. And if LT80 has anymore helpful hints please say so.

Maybe the reason that the missing "Pro's" aren't showing up to the TT races, is because they don't know how to setup their own quad. You have to use your brain a little bit to know how much weight should you put on your swaybar, what compound and size of tire to run, where should the axle be set at, how much tire pressure to run. You have a lot more factors in TT racing to winning than you do in MX. And if it a so-called "lazy man's race", then why isn't everybody doing it?

Old 07-16-2002, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

doobies eh? well go here
http://www.atvscene.com/race-reports...land-tt-02.htm
download the pro podium and listen to what the announcer says about Jones at the end of it.
funny, I didnt listen to them at the track,but I must have a popular oppinion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

Well if you prefer MX, then do MX. If you prefer TT, well then do TT. And if you like doing both, and can afford both series, then by all means good luck to you.

But you shouldn't start ragging on riders that don't like to do one particular type of racing.

You don't see Ricky Carmichel or Mike Larraco doing both [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Deeve 7, Thank's so much for the info. The tire size really hit home for me. Last year I ran a Holeshot 18-10x8, that got destroyed in a crash, so this year I replaced them with a Holeshot 18-10x10. I couldn't figure it out but I kept fealing that I had better traction last year then I did this year. Also, I do run a sway bar up front with Roll-Design +2 +1 a-arms up front with Work Shocks. Does the width of the front of the Quad matter as much as the back? As far as Mx vs. TT goes, I've done both and love both. I raced MX when I was younger and had a great time. Then I did the married with children deal and was out of racing for about 10 years. I got the bug to racing again and found out my back couldn't take those jumps any more. I found a local TT track and started doing that and I have to say I have stopped grinning yet. The one thing I have noticed between the two is that there is alot more close racing in TT then when I raced MX. But here me out, I race the amateur class and it just seems like all of us our about the same talent level and race the same caliber bike. No one really runs off and leaves any body. But in MX it just seemed like we were more spread out when we were racing. Believe me I would give any thing to feal the thrill of jumping a double again with out having a sharp pain shoot up from my butt to the back of my neck. But I'm back out there racing having the time of my life on those nice flat smooth tracks.

Old 07-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

TitMan, the width of the front end does help in handling and stability. I don't think it is necessary to keep changing the width of the front end once it is set. Your current setup up front should work well. I have seen some people use a wider right front than left front when racing oval, but I'm not for sure if that helps that much or not. Some of the people that I have talked to says that it tends to push a lot more in the corners. A set of TT tires will greatly cure your traction problems over holeshot tires, especially with a banshee.

Old 07-20-2002, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

After, going to the first three nationals this year it is easy to see why the turnout seems to be getting weaker and weaker. First, off in my mind we get very little respect from the local track people. In Georgia I ran my lcq virtually in the dark, and it was amazing how unorganized it was. In Michigan I got there for the friday practice thinking I could get some much needed practice. Well, they let us out about a 100 to a time with A and B so you got guys of almost all levels out there guys that wont jump anything and are endangering others and guys that are jumping everything. That was when I decided I wasnt going to anymore nationals for at least awhile.

Also, something I didnt realize was how much money the pros and pro am guys have to spend out of pocket. I mean Chad Lohr paid for his own motel room. These guys are spending a ton of money and if you dont particularly care for TT why would you drive countless hours and spend huge sums of money to do something you dont really care for.

I don't think fear is a part of it. It boils down to finances and championships. Why should Jeremiah jeopardize his chance at the MX title to race a TT race and why should he spend all that money to pursue a title he may not even care to have.

In the dirtbike world Jeremy McGrath hasn't pursued the outdoor title since the mid 90's and you never really heard many people ******* on him. He is a champion in both and a great rider. He made a decision to cut down on his travelling and concentrate on a certain aspect of his sport, and if anything he is know more of a legend for it.