Default Good MX quad?

Yamaha Blaster
with a yz250 engine
2+2 axle
works ZPS shocks all around
2+1 a-arms
Holeshots 18' all around
K&N pro flow

sound good to anyone? anyone got any other ideas to add to that , that will make it even better?

Old 11-26-2002, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good MX quad?

aww come on guys... i wanna know if i should invest the money into this or if its not even worth the time...

Old 11-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good MX quad?

I would not recomend that setup. The main reason is that the YZ250 motor is not counter-balanced and vibrates a lot. Also, the Blaster chassis is on the small side and not designed for that kind of power either. Finally, you would also have to deal with mounting the radiator and getting a pipe to work. In the end, you would have more time and money invested in a project like this than it would be worth.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Good MX quad?

Go with one of the 400 class 4-stroke quads or w/ a 250R. Yamaha doesn't pay a lot of attention to handling, and the blaster frame wouldn't hold up to mx very long... it really wouldn't be able to handle mx w/ a YZ250 motor in it.

IMO, the best MX'ers in no particular order:
Cannondale (any of them)
400ex
250R
LTZ400
KFX400
or a custom built CRF/YZF 450 motor in a 250R style frame.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Good MX quad?

i know the blaster is very sub-par. But i like it alot! because i can handle it im kind of a small guy. and i think it would do just fine. I might buy myself a new frame also, but thats only if i need. I think it will do just fine with all the extenstions. what do you think wouldnt hold up? i live in alaska i cant exactly get my hands on a 250r cheap./... an di dont want to go buy a new quad... and this project is an estimated 4000$ and then me and my dad are mechanix so we can put it 2gether.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Good MX quad?

i think it would be good... not the BEST.. im ya it would be better in a 250r ..and i wont go 4-stroke [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
but also its gonna be a fun project to make work.. i mean how many ppl do you know with a blaster that will go that fast?

Old 11-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Good MX quad?

You would be better off keeping the Blaster motor and modifying it with a 240 kit. I still think that trying to fit a YZ250 motor in there is a bad idea. Its not counter balanced, getting a pipe to work properly, and trying to fit the radiator in there are all things that will work against you. Think of it this way, if something like this actually worked halfway decently, you would see lots of people doing it already. If you were to sell your Blaster and put that money with the $4000 you are already planning on spending, I would think that you should be able to find a decent 250R, even in Alaska.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Good MX quad?

o no... sorry if you think im trying to totally disagree with you here, but if been looking into this extensivly, looked at all those factors. vibration is the biggest problem.. and thats a simple one at that. This has been done. I have the site bookmarked at school i wil post it l8r maybe. And that quad was awesome. unstopable! if possiblei would like to stick with yamaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] im a yami so im against honda haha. 250r cost to much cuz first you have to get a decent and then you gotta mod the junk outa them to make em good.. and its not like im racing HARDCORE MX its juss the local races at the track. so i dont think my frame will have a problem, it will hold up. i know exactly how ot put this in there and where to mount everything and how to do the pipe and everything. its gonna take me about a week once i got all the parts to put it 2gether and then it wil be ready to ride...why no one else does it... because no one lieks the blasters.. they are sub-par.. i love mine because i can throw it all around in the air and stuf and im a smaller guy... " why spend that money on such a cheap quad.." price doesnt matter... all depends on the rider and there style.. my style is on the blaster.. ive ridden a banshee.. liked it but liked the blaster a lil better ont he track. raptor.. no way there trail bikes riden it on the track... no good. never ridden a 250r...dont really want to either.. to much maintance to keep that 86' up.

Old 11-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Good MX quad?

just to let ya know a 250r is no more maintenence than a blaster. all you would have to do to make it competitive at local races would be put numbers on it. if a blaster will hold its own than you dont need to mod the heck out of a 250r. and you could prolly get a 250 pretty cheap. right now i am selling mine for 3600.00 with mods(chassis is stock) plus shipping which i dont think is much more than prolly 500$ cause its about250-300 to ship a bike from maryland to california. just a thought plus it would be a smoother ride vibration wise and you would have an all around good bike that will hold its value well. not many people buy specialty bike especially 2 strokes anymore

Old 11-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Good MX quad?

Sooo, you've been looking into this extensively? Since when, the last 12 hours? To me, it sounds like you have your mind made up and no matter what kind of good, reasonable advice you get, you are not going to listen to it, so why even bother asking for help? I say put the YZ motor in it, spend all the money on the suspension mods, and enjoy it until it falls apart after 4 races, and then go buy a quad that was at least designed as something other than an entry level sport quad and see how happy you are and how much money you saved.

Quick Reply: Good MX quad?