ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

quads vs bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003 | 05:11 PM
MrP
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Blaster668- Your nuts man! I bet you yourself are a C level rider that is just pissed cause you get roosted on by quads!

Old 02-13-2003 | 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

I have nothing against quads at all. I own a quad and I used to race one. I just prefer the bike. I don't believe I've said anything that is untruthfull. I can tell you guys from talking to other bike riders that there is one thing that stands out about many quad riders. I'm not talking about everyone or even the majority of people, there are some very fast and talented quad riders. But it never seems to fail that a quad rider will show up at the track with a stock 400ex or Raptor. Wait, " it's not stock, it has a pipe and jet kit on it so it's set up for racing". They will be wearing blue jeans and work boots too. Some of these idiots( not most quad riders, SOME) will go out on the track thinking they can ride as fast and clear all the jumps that the pros do. They usually end up getting hurt or hurting someone else. This gives a bad image to our sport. Rarely do you see bike guys doing this, allthough it does happen.

The other bad thing bike guys see in quad riders is when it comes to trail riding or play riding. Often (again not everyone) we see drunk people wearing no helmets or shirts doing wheelies and such on quads. On the trails many quad riders will not peacefully let a faster rider go past them whether it be on a quad or bike.

If you guys want a better image for yourselves then start working on it. Actually practice and learn your abilities before you go out on race day. Use common sense and wear protective equipment and be respectfull to other riders, both quad and bike.

I know most of the quad riders are good in the above areas. But there are still some more bad ones that need to get their acts together. When you see a new guy at the track, give him some pointers on what he may and may not be capable of.

my $4.26 worth

Old 02-13-2003 | 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Thats also true... there do seem to be more dumb asses on quads than bikes. Although I can tell you that I am NOT one of them (I always wear helmet, boots, full riding gear, knee/shin gaurds, and chest protector) when I race and MrP is also a darn good rider. He races Nationals in 250B, I believe, and is smokin fast. But I do see a lot of people that think EVERYTHING is a race. It really pisses me off when someone cuts me off or won't let me around them in practice when I'm trying to learn the track and I'm being held off like it's a dang championship race. I'll obviously just pass them, but I don't want to have to be riding hard in practice when I'm still learning a track and I have 2 moto's ahead of me that I DO want to ride hard for. I don't know if bike riders do the same thing a lot, but damn that gets on my nerves. But to quad racers defence, there are more helpful, kind quad racers at the tracks around here than there are bike racers, and that is really sad conscidering bike out number quads by well over 5-1.

Old 02-13-2003 | 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default quads vs bikes

Ypu guys , again have hit some valid points,but the reason there are so many more "idiots" on Quads is simple ,we outsell Dirt bikes and street bikes combined !!! Look up the stats call Doug Morris from ATVA . Another reason is because unfortunatley it takes less skill to "drive" a Quad. Anyone can "drive" a Quad not everyone can "Ride",so you again because of the sales and number of units out there have these "idiots" who do stupid things. I agree about a lot of what you said but I did want to get those points out there.And lastly MXDale is right overall the attitudes of the Quad racers are much better than the "Premadonna" bike guys. AND I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FIGHT HERE! But a lot more bike racers have that" I am better than you attitude,so dont ask me to help you" than the quad guys. But again we should all try to come to a common ground and work it out so we can get along.

Jason NEATV-MX

Old 02-13-2003 | 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

I'll say one thing whether your talking about racing or just general riding we don't get the respect of bikes or snowmobiles. Last year in about an hour from where I live there were two snowmobile accidents that resulted in death. The newspaper printed a 4 or 5 paragraph article about what a tragedy it was. If you find a dirtbike or even streetbike article on a fatal crash it is also a tragedy. If one person dies in an ATV crash like that kid who died racing with Jeremiah Jones they have to include 2 or 3 paragraphs about how ATVs are dangerous but they don't do it for the other. They also give all the sweet technology to bikes and sleds (except for Cannondale but bikes have already had this technology whether it's the street or the dirt).

I don't know about competitive track times between bikes and quads so maybe you guys could clear somethings up for me:

1. Has a quad ever done Lorocco's Leap? It's supposed to be like 150 feet.

2. If you took a fully race modified 250r and an equaly modified CR250r wouldn't the fact that the bike would be over 100 pounds lighter make it faster?

Feel free to educate me since I don't really know.

One last thing. One of my main riding buddies/ best friend is related to the owner of Silver Springs MX track and we are allowed to ride there if there isn't a race that day. They don't run quads and bikes on the same day and they constantly groom and water the track during race day to eliminate rut problems. The big difference comes to money. Jim has had as many as 600 riders show up to race bikes and bring in many friends and family as paying customers. The best showing of quads was 75 and that was only the first time. There has never been a showing above 40 since then. Since he makes so much money of the bikes he gives them what they want when the make requests about track changes practice schedules etc. After all they are his bread and butter. He has considered getting rid of quad races the last three years in a row because he just isn't making very much money. The Batavia track which is about 20 or 30 miles away has all the same problems and have almost eliminated quad races all together as well.
Diggler

Old 02-13-2003 | 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

I agree that a lot of the quad riders are more helpfull

Old 02-13-2003 | 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Blaster668 made a valid point - Image means alot. I agree with him that some, not all quad riders act very irresponsibly and immature. I have seen those types at the track and out on the trails.....no helmet, drinking and drugs, riding wild with no protective gear, and many times on quads that are so poorly maintained that they should be scrapped! That's not the type of image our sport needs! I have always taken my riding and racing seriously and I think everyone else should. I have seen people get injured on more than one occasion because of alcohol or drug use while riding, and being very immature and irrational when riding. The impaired riders always think they have to be the fastest, etc......we all know what happens next!
Also, has anyone in here ever participated in the "Quad Wars". It was a little series across the nation that ficticiously pitted team North against team South during monster truck shows. I have been in one of those events and the organizer of the show was encouraging us to do just that....put on a show. I have no problem entertaining people, but they were expecting us to get together and stage the race, act as if our machines were broken or having trouble, and even stage a crash and act like we were fighting!! I'm sure the spectators were somewhat entertained, but that is not the image quads need either. It looks very unprofessional when riders are getting off of their quads and "fighting". Not good sportsmanship for sure. However, when it came to the bike riders in the show, they were really racing and did not do any of those antics. In my eyes, that just goes to show how quads are not respected as organized racers.

Old 02-13-2003 | 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Quad riders are much more helpful and not as cocky

Old 02-13-2003 | 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

BadChad, I too have been in one of the quad wars races. My buddy won when he wasn't supposed to. Boy did the organizers get mad. They do portray a bad image for the sport. But I'd sure do it again. The flat-track they had us on was fun as hell to ride and they gave each of us $50, free entrance to the shows, and free food. Can't beat that.

Old 02-22-2003 | 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

lol, now I traded my shee for a bike, they have a way of sucking you into the sport

Quick Reply: quads vs bikes