ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

quads vs bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003 | 09:49 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default quads vs bikes

This is being reposted it was taken off by mistake.

Does anyone feel like quads don't get any respect? Alot of tracks don't let quads ride an most of the bike riders think we tear up the track. I know that the lap times for each are about the same or FASTER for the quads.I would like to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2003 | 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

I'm going to say this from someone who is on both sides of the fence. I race both quads and bikes. It is much easier to ride a bike on a track that hasn't had quads on it. The ruts in corners act like rails for us. Those ruts are also very beneficial to "FAST" quad riders for the same reason.

About the lap times being the same, and jumping the same distances. Yeah Right!!!! Ok maybe most quad riders run lap times an do jumps equal to C level bike riders but put the top bike pros(Carmichael, Reed, etc...)against the top quad pros( Farr, Gust, etc...) and the quad guys will be getting lapped very soon. Bikes are so much lighter and more technically advanced than quads.

I prefer the bike 10 to 1 over the quad and heres why: Bikes are way cheaper, bikes have more power, bikes are more reliable, bikes are much cheaper, bikes aren't always breaking, bikes don't wear the rider out as much, bikes jump so much better, bikes land way smoother, bikes take bumps way better, bikes are much cheaper, bikes are race ready stock, you can make decent money racing a bike, bikes are just plain funner to ride, did I mention that bikes are a lot cheaper!!!!

Since when have you been able to buy a brand new quad for under $5000, take it to a national and win. Without putting a dollar into it. You certainly can on a bike.

Old 02-10-2003 | 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

i dont race since i'm an old fart, but i used to and can tell ya that i HATE the grooves the dirt bikes wear in trails around here. they are always at the base of a tree or in the shade, and i finally bot a steering damper so when the DITCH pulled the bars out of my hands i wouldnt need surgery! I used to race before quads,,,and can tell you for a fact that the reason most trails around here are groomed is becuase of skinny little MC tires digging grooves and whoops, not the big fat tires on the quads.
NOW i'm just saying what hapens here, and its not a track, but several public riding areas.

when we find a recently groomed trail, its cool, cuz we can really haul [and yes, we check for wear on the trail] and not have to be so stressed about grooves in the shade. ride in a pine forest in the afternoon, you will learn religion.

anyway, now you know where my opinion is. and i have plenty of experience. there was even some talk recently about not allowing dirt bikes in some areas because of the damage.....get that! remember, i';m an old dirt biker.

also while we're on the subject, it seems that the dirt bike boys go first for the easiest trails. this is where kids learn and families ride, and are usually the first ruined by the whoops and grooves!! perhaps we should designate certain trails for dirt bikes, as the 'easisest' signs are up for the benfit of families, beginners and kids. guys, go to the blue or black trails! thats what yer bikes are for.

wooo hooo biker etiquette according to the old fart. not meant to **** anyone off, it's just time it was said. .. and thank you for your support!

just my experienced and humble opinion! nothing more than that. you guys know me.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2003 | 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

I loved playing around on my old suzuki bike but I think I would pick a quad over A abike in most situations, I like the power and speed of bikes but 4wheelers can go anywhere unlike bikes

Old 02-11-2003 | 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Well, it's two different machines that require two different kinds of track conditions. Bikes like big ruts to rail corners.... a lot of times, quads like smooth corners to power slide around the corner. Sometimes ruts are good for quads but not bike ruts. Bikes mess up tracks for quads, and quads mess up tracks for bikes. My opinion though, is that bikes mess up tracks worse for quads than quads mess up tracks for bikes. We may give bikes trouble in the corners just like they do for us, but bikes also wear grooves into the face of jumps. Bike are capable of jumping rutted out faced jumps cause their tires are in line... but quads will get thrown in all kinds of F'ed up positions because we have the two sets of tires that are side by side.

Luckily we have the TQRA series here. We get over 100 quads at every event, and no bikes are allowed. The tracks are always in good condition for us quads, and there is NO lack of respect for quad riders. If you're close to our area, check out www.tqra.com

On another note... If you are a bike/quad racer, and can't quit complaining about a rough track, you need to go back home and pick up your play station controller, cause your little wimpy *** doesn't need to be on the track. Yes, I like TQRA more cause the track is better for quads, but I'll race on the same track as bikes and not give a @#*& about the ruts. If it makes the track more difficult, it will make me a better rider. If you can't handle the track not being in perfect condition for you, then do like I said and stick w/ playing your play station... the tracks in the game world won't wear down, so you should be plenty happy there.

I don't know where I heard this but, I'm pretty sure Tim Farr's lap times at Red Budd were not that much slower than Ricky Carmicheals. I can't remember what the difference in lap times were, but I know Ricky wouldn't have been anywhere CLOSE to lapping Farr. And you could go farther, more easily on a quad than you could a bike. You have to make all these qualifiers and stuff just to ride the National tracks on bikes, but all you have to do on quads is show up. That gives us quad racers the chance to ride on the same tracks as the pro guys, and we can just go right up to them and talk to them and they won't blow you off like you are some kind of "little person".

And by the way, bikes are NOT more reliable than quads. All bikes and quads can be very reliable if the owner takes care of them, if anything the quad motors are more reliable because they are all so detuned.

Old 02-12-2003 | 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

When I said that bikes are more reliable, I was not just talking about engines. I was talking more about chassis problems. Cracked frames, bent axles, bent tie-rods, snapped ball-joints, bent steering stems, busted subframes, etc... rarely happen on a bike because they are designed for MX, unlike almost every quad out there. And yes I have a lot of experience with quads, even the full aftermarket chassis are junk compared to stock bike chassis. My best friend races a full LSR chassied quad, I bet he spends ten times as much as me fixing things.

Old 02-12-2003 | 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Can't we all just get along? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have to agree that quads don't get the respect that the bikes do even on local levels. There are several factors that lead to this though. True, quads do flatten out the ruts that the bikes make, but bikes rut up the smooth corners that we quad riders like. Usually the quads are one of the last moto's to practice and race....unless it is a rainy day and a muddy track, then suddenly we're the forgotten hero's. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to go "dry up the track".
I also think another reason is that many times the quad class has an inconsistant turnout, at least on local levels around here. Sometimes we'll have up to 20+ quads and have to run 2 classes, then other days we will only have 1 or 2 quads show up. I think that is the main reason why we are left out.
I personally don't have a problem with bike riders because they share interest in the same style riding that we do, but I would like to see more bike riders with the same outlook on this as I do.

Old 02-12-2003 | 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default quads vs bikes

Blaster668 - I agree about the chassis problems that quads have opposed to bikes. Bikes DO handle MX better than quads. Most will hate to hear it but there is no getting around that fact.

badchad - that's exactly what I'm saying, bikes mess up the track for quads, and quads mess up the track for bikes. But if someone can't handle the track being made more difficult for their certain style, they need to go home and stick to nintendo. The more difficult a track, the more the rider will improve from it. It sucks that yall don't have a consistant turn out around there. We regularly have over 100 quads show up for the TQRA series and over 50 quads for most other local bike/quad races. We are blessed w/ good turnout and that makes a HUGE difference in the amount of respect you get.

Old 02-12-2003 | 02:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default quads vs bikes

Guys you all have valid points but I agree with badchad on this we all need to get along! true bikes get more "respect" than we do but we are getting there ! I honestly believe that all we need is that one "big" sponsor to step up like they have in snocross and we will be just as big. The outsiders that dislike our sports love it when we fight becuse of the disharmony they can take us on easier. we need to all get toghether or we wont be fighting over whos better we'll be running from the cops because we started our bikes too early or traveling 10 hours just to go to the one legal ride spot in our states!
Lastly guys/girls I have posted a post on atvscene.com in forums under the GNC topic list, It is in regard to TV coverage of our sport and what you would like to see out of a half hour show that covers ATV racing,and personality . I have talked directly to Tim from High Octane television and he is planning on running 4-5 episodes that deal with ATV racing so please if you have input go to the site check out what I have wrote and send me your opinions ! I WILL PASS THEM ALONG. Thanks to everyone and I look forward to your inputs!

Jason Perron NEATV-MX
Media/Public Relations Coordinator

Old 02-12-2003 | 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default quads vs bikes

Oh yeah one last thing guys/girls . We have on average of 220-250 riders turn out to our series www.neatv-mx.com , And MX dale is right we get a huge amount of support from the tracks we race at and one of them is a National track(Southwick) . keep the faith my fellow Quadracers we will get there!

Jason NEATV-MX

Quick Reply: quads vs bikes