ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

MX RACING

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003 | 01:34 PM
Range Rover
Default MX RACING

ubetrun,
Be careful with the +3 a-arms and offset wheels, you may find out that you are wider than the 50" atva limit. I am going lower in my gearing (12/38) so i can run around the corners in 3rd gear and pull insanely hard outta the corners...just have to be careful of the wheeling....which i can handle now....my starts are getting better, but i tend to get too amped and wheelie out....when i maintained control i have the ability to get the holeshot....i did almost once, but when i saw i had the holeshot...i stalled the bike....damn fool i am...hehehehehee.....anyway...i sent my motor to Sparks...i dont have time or the tools to do the work myself....i have the intelligence, but not the formentioned. Sparks did the porting, on the head and carb boots, Sparks doesnt do bigger valves with the 690 kit, not totally sure who the cam builder is, but it's to Sparks specifications, and Sparks uses the stock rod...No other quads that i have raced give me problems....my raptor is setup perfect and the power is unmatched....it's me that holds my raptor back....fear of breaking my quad and myself lead me to ride quite conservatively and i still do very well.....i have yet to run up against a full race 426/450 quad yet...but i think with me moving to the open a class i will get that chance this season... My raptor is a long travel raptor...i love my suspension....it rocks....it took me some time to get it dailed in...but i am dailed in now.....i am always happy to see guy's like us out there still teaching some of the younger racers how it's done.....

herbdon out.......good luck

Old 02-24-2003 | 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default MX RACING

Awesome advice Herbdon, thanks! I already love the power hit of my Raptor coming out of a hard turn at full throttle and those big Holeshots hooking up. I know you understand. I can only imagine how it launches in 3rd w/a 690. Unless one of the big guys come up with something dramatically better, I'm going with the 686 12:1 JE, Hotcams II and springs, stock valves, and common sense garage porting. I know what radical porting is and I'll take a step or two away from that until (if?) I need those couple of extra ponies. If I decide to farm out the porting, I'll send it to Sparks.

I agree, can't get positive offset front wheels with the +3 LTs. I meant I would get negative offset beadlocks to stay just under 50" if the stock fronts were too wide.

Have you ever wondered if a more street bike rake and ergonomics would turn the Raptor into a TRON quad? I'll shout as things unfold. Good luck to you and thanks again for sharing.

Karlfly - You can't quit unless the bone shows. That's my motto anyhow:-) As long as I can still hold a fishing rod and make whoopy, I'll be able to enjoy life with a few extra aches and pains. Isn't that why old guys buy Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  and drink the hard stuff at lunch? Know what you mean about those youngsters, my 18 year old isn't allowed to ride my Raptor, he's not right in the head when he has a throttle in his hand:-)

Old 06-04-2003 | 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default MX RACING

Hey guys, I'm 42 and just started racing quads this past winter. I only had a chance to race a couple times before running off to Baghdad, but I hope to get home soon and start again. I just put Works shocks on and only got a chance to ride it twice before leaving. The fronts are great but the back is a little stiff. I'm going to keep the motor stock except for the pipe air filter and jetting because I'm not using all the power it has now. Maybe after I get a little more time on the track.
Herbdon, Do you get much vibration out of the TAG bars. I just put them on my Raptor with the TAG bar clamp and it sure seems to vibrate a lot. But like I said, I haven't had much time to spend playing with it.
Good luck racing and try and bring it home in one piece.

Starky

Old 06-04-2003 | 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default MX RACING

I also race the NEATV series open C

UBETRUN- just my 2 cents stay away from the JE piston my dads je in his raptor just blow up and cost about 1000$ worth![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
luckly my raptor is only good for a part bike!

Old 06-04-2003 | 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default MX RACING

Too late, I've already made mine a 686 12:1 Craycraft motor with the lightweight JE piston. Sorry for your Dad, how did it blow?

Old 06-05-2003 | 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default MX RACING

the pin came out the bottom of the piston cracking the sleave in 4 places and seasing the pin in side the rod all because the je pistons hit the head[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I really hope you guy have better luck or a big wallet! mines been busted for over 8 months and my dads breaks every time we go out!
that the reason I bought my ds no problems besides normal mantince.

Old 06-13-2003 | 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default MX RACING

I dont race yet, but i do jump on the mx track and make it around pretty fast, i fell in love with the mx track after i hit most of the jumps down there, they are pretty big too.