ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Numb Bum

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numb Bum

OK diehard racers any of you hear of the longest ICE RACE in the world? It's called the "NUMB BUM" 24 (the 24 represents 24 hours of none stop racing). The race track is a frozen lake with the snow ploughed off forming a race track. This year the track was 13 km long with 130 corners of various radiuses and the temperature, get this, dropped to -42 dec C. I'm not sure of the number of entries but I think it was about 35 a fairly even split between dirt bikes and quads. Approx 50% of the entries finished the race where as the remaining 50% dropped out due to unreparable mechanical failure or rider failure. The race was held at Sandy Beach north of Edmonton, Alberta where it has been now for 4 years.
Some of the concerns when racing the Numb Bum are frost bite, mechanical failure, physical failure, things breaking because of the cold like goggles, another big problem is goggles frosting up and making it impossible to see.
Just thought you might be interested in how we pass the time during the winter months here in Canada.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

I bet they don't run Benol. I am having trouble with it seperating in the positive teens.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

wow finally someone else from the numb bumb you race which quad where you or did you just watch
my dads team was on the raptor (used the shee for the 6hs) they were winning and would have won first overally if not for the stupid braket that broke. me and my cusin raced in the 6hs and are going this weekend. we don't win but we don't to do bad on the blaster next year i'll probably end up with a piped shee so i should be able to move up the standings in that...next year i'll be in it hopefully my parents didn't let me run it in this year. it was pretty cold there tho. we lasted till about 12:30 or something like that

Old 02-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

too bad they broke down tho last year we won it would have been nice to win again oh well its all for fun lata
-cory

Old 02-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

What kind of tires do you use on the Raptor and how many screws.
I'de love to do some ice racing, but haven't heard of any around here. Maybe they do it in Winnepeg.

Old 02-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

we use some ice racing tires from that chin chin company not sure how many screws good luck
you can look at some pics in my gallery we use the same tires on mine as on the raptor lata
-cory

Old 02-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

Actually it was my son that was racing, I was the pit boss. We were with Alberta Cycle and ended up in first place in the under 400 quads. If there was a secret to our success it was consistency, we did have a couple of mechanical hiccups which cost us 1/2 a lap each but other than that it was hard on the throttle and don't look back. Nothing was left on the track.
The fact is anybody that even participates in that race deserves a medal. Those that finished the deserve a thunderous ovation, my hat goes off to you all.

Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

oh ya you guys you had a sweet white z400 didn't you end up 2nd in the quad class good job overall[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i can't believe number 22 crashed at the end they would have won overall. well maby i'll see you out at the next six hour at frog lake lata
-cory

Old 02-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

See you there. Come over and introduce yourself.

Old 03-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Numb Bum

ok i might do that ttyl
-cory
good luck in the next race

Quick Reply: Numb Bum